Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Help! I need some advice on my first formula

• Help! I need some advice on my first formula

Posted by Anonymous on June 15, 2019 at 6:27 am

Hello! I am wanting to make a face mask that is also a cleanser.  That removes makeup, sunscreen, cleans pores and brightens.  Do you think this looks good or would you add or take away anything?  

Ingredients  Deionized water, Kaolin, Magnesium Stearate, Titatium Dioxide, Mica, Sodium Alginate, Glycerin, Acaia Seyel Gum Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ascorbic Acid, Hydroxiethyl Cellulose, D-Alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Steareth-20, Polysorbate 20, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Carbomer, Potassium Sorbate, Carmine, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Citric Acid 

ngarayeva001 replied 4 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • pharma

June 15, 2019 at 12:04 pm
    Did you actually make and try it?
    If I had to put a bet (I’m not much of a gambler and you didn’t list amounts, not even mentioned whether the ingredients are in weight order), I’d say it won’t remove makeup very well (especially not waterproof one), likely struggle with sunscreen, and won’t clean pores. It might however remove sebum and greasy night creams quite nicely.
  • oldperry

June 15, 2019 at 2:59 pm

I agree with @Pharma but before you can get any help, you need to make a prototype and see what’s wrong with it.

In general, however, this is too complicated a task for you to take on as your first formula. If it indeed is your first formula, try to make a simple mask. And don’t use 20 ingredients. Try to make a mask with 5 ingredients.  Once you can do that, then start adding features. You’ve got to learn to walk before you can sprint.

• microformulation

June 15, 2019 at 5:24 pm

Perry said:

In general, however, this is too complicated a task for you to take on as your first formula. If it indeed is your first formula, try to make a simple mask. And don’t use 20 ingredients. Try to make a mask with 5 ingredients.  Once you can do that, then start adding features. You’ve got to learn to walk before you can sprint.

This^^

• Anonymous

June 16, 2019 at 7:54 am

Thank you yes I do have a prototype.  I will take all your advice, thanks!

• ngarayeva001

June 16, 2019 at 8:23 am

I agree with previous comments but even a quick look at this LOI is enough to conclude that this product will not remove makeup. Find a benchmark that you like, understand the functional ingredients, ignore the fluff like hyaluronic acid and try to reverse engineer it (with functional ingredients only!).