Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Starting a cosmetic line Coffea Seed Powder - is it the same as ground coffee beans???

• Coffea Seed Powder - is it the same as ground coffee beans???

Posted by Stargirl71 on May 22, 2019 at 3:04 am

Is there a difference between COFFEA ARABICA/ROBUSTA SEED POWDER
    and freshly ground coffee beans of the same origin? Sorry if this seems like a stupid
    question but I notice with products like coffee scrubs, a lot list the
    former as the main ingredient. Wondering if they are one and the same
    thing? Thanks in advance.

Stargirl71 replied 4 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • JonahRay

May 22, 2019 at 8:20 pm

In cosmetics you need to use the INCI name. Coffea Arabica Seed Powder and Coffea Robusta Seed Powder are the INCI names for ground coffee beans of the Arabic & Robusta varieties. Depending on the source it can be the green beans or roasted.

• Stargirl71

May 23, 2019 at 2:52 am
    Thanks @JonahRay
    So technically, the same thing. I’ve been using a roasted product for testing small batches.
    I see there are cosmetic supply companies selling the “powder” but at significantly higher prices to say the equivalent in roasted ground coffee. Again, and pardon my ignorance - this is a huge learning curve for me - is there some kind of huge difference between what the cosmetic supplier is selling and regular old roasted ground coffee? i.e. Is there such a thing as “cosmetic grade” vs. “food grade” and is one more suitable over the other for use in body scrubs/skin care products?