Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Titanium dioxide affect color

• Titanium dioxide affect color

Posted by Amira on April 27, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Hello everyone,
    I am formulating a cheek tint cream using the color d&c I 27 ( color changing powder when exposed to moisture). A simple formula of bees wax, IPM, CCT, OZOKERITE Wax, carnuba wax. 
    THE problem is I want to add titanium dioxide, but when added it cause the powder to color pink (changing) , zinc oxide causes that as well.
    I need to add it, it helps the texture to be less greasy and gives it a creamy texture.
    Plz, Can anyone explain this to me ? 

Sponge replied 4 years, 10 months ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • fekher

April 29, 2019 at 1:27 pm

@Amira for better texture and less greassy effect you can use C12-15 alkylbenzoate and strach.

• Amira

April 30, 2019 at 9:25 am

@fekher thanks for ur reply
    What do u think of magnesium stearate instead of starch? 
    Also, octyl palmitate is the one that is available for me beside CCT ? 

• fekher

April 30, 2019 at 9:42 am

@Amira from short researching your input can give slicky and emollient effect but i did not find that they reduce greasy effect just octyl palmitate can reduce greaseness

• Amira

April 30, 2019 at 10:47 am

@fekher I am trying to find the available at the market. I will look for those chemicals and I hope to reach to something. Thank you and I will update post. 

• fekher

April 30, 2019 at 12:49 pm

@Amira  increasing % of IPM can also reduce greasy effect . Waiting your sucees have nice Job.

• Amira

May 1, 2019 at 8:47 am

@fekher 
    Thank you for ur support, I appreciate it  

• fekher

May 1, 2019 at 10:15 am

@Amira you are welcome .

• khoikhoa

May 2, 2019 at 8:58 am

you can use starch, like: structure XL

• bellbottom

May 31, 2019 at 8:10 pm

TiO2 and ZnO both are opacifiers, and will always affect the final color by making it lighter and more opaque. 

if you want a tint to be sheer, remove both opacifiers and use something like a starch, silica or other oil-absorbing powders.

• dr-catherine-pratt

June 1, 2019 at 6:16 pm

The color change sounds like a pH issue. If you do use zinc, readjust your pH ? You can also use other light emollients like olive & jojoba esters, Shea ester. Besides TiO2 or zinc what about Tapioca, mica, talc?

• Sponge

June 1, 2019 at 6:30 pm

You say the pigment (27) is color changing - what color is it starting as, and what color is it supposed to become upon application?