Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate (SLMI) formulation help

• Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate (SLMI) formulation help

Posted by scelce on April 3, 2019 at 2:35 pm

Does anyone have any experience creating sulfate-free facial cleansers with Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate (SLMI)? I have limited knowledge with formulating bath products, my specialties are cremes/lotions.

I originally wanted to combine sodium Cocoyl Isethionate (primary) and Cocamidopropyl Betaine (co-surfactant) as my surfactant system but it seems like this SLMI is the latest surfactant to use when trying to formulate mild, sulfate-free, clear, bath products.

Some of the questions I have are:

Best co-surfactant(s) to pair SLMI with for a rich luxurious feel and great foaming?

Best glycols, thickeners, polymers, emollients to use with SLMI?

Best combo to ensure stable emulsion?

If anyone has experience using SLMI any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

ozgirl replied 4 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ngarayeva001

April 4, 2019 at 12:50 pm

I don’t have experience with SLMI (going to order it soon though) but I do have experience with SCI. Provided that both are powders I think my point might still be relevant. It is very hard to achieve reasonable result for a liquid product with powdered surfactantas. It will either separate, or change viscosity or you will have some flakes on the bottom of the bottle at some point.  SCI performs  great in bar products. Have you considered using sodium lauroyl sarcosinate? It is very gentle surfactant and it comes in a liquid form.

• ozgirl

April 4, 2019 at 9:13 pm
    SLMI is reasonably easy to use. It is often formulated with Taurate surfactants (e.g. Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate) and Cocamidopropyl betaine. Innospec sells a blend of these surfactants (Iselux Ultra Mild) but I found it was cheaper to create my own blend.
    Here is some more information