Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Castile soap

• Castile soap

Posted by Anonymous on March 13, 2019 at 5:38 am

my background is Agricultural Chemical formulations for around 40 years now retired. 
    Im enjoying making very basic skin care products.
    I have made Castile soap in two stages. Olive oil, 5% coconut oil and KoH to saponify then dilute with water to suite.
    Can you do this reaction using sufficient water in one stage if so an indication of heat required and time of reaction would be appreciated.
    Rae

mikethair replied 5 years ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • fekher

March 13, 2019 at 5:30 pm

@Rae i have experiences in such product for temperature  hot process will be fine whatever temperature , higher temperature faster saponification in hot process i think 1 hour and half will be almost fine going at  to 3 hours.
    About steps it is always better cocking the diluating cause with time water will be evaporated if you want make diluating from start.

• mikethair

March 15, 2019 at 10:28 pm

This is something we do regularly. We use a 170 Litre stainless steel water jacketed stainless steel tank. We maintain the temperature at around 71 C. The saponifiaction takes the best part of one day.  A good mixer is required. The liquis soap is poured into jerry cans the next day after cooling. 

• fekher

March 16, 2019 at 8:32 am

@mikethair why do not increasing temperature around 100 degree C for reducing time of saponification ? i already did it in industriel batch with 70 kg of soap and i get good soap ( i think that best part of day is waste of time and money)

• mikethair

March 22, 2019 at 10:25 pm

Managing a 100 C water jacketed tank is precarious and subject to boil overs. We prefer not to operate at these temperatures.