Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Probiotics and Preservatives

• Probiotics and Preservatives

Posted by Anonymous on March 11, 2019 at 12:44 pm

Hi there, 

I am currently doing a cosmetic chemistry course and have a formulation project underway. I don’t have the full formulation thought out yet but I would like to use a Lactobacillus Ferment Lysate in my formula. My question is more general in terms of formulations:

Do you use a preservative like propylene glycol etc. when there are probiotics in the formula? If not, do you formulate under heavy (more than normal) sterilized conditions?

Thanks

pharma replied 4 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • oldperry

March 11, 2019 at 1:33 pm

What are you hoping the lactobacillus ferment lysate will do in the formula?

Propylene glycol is not a preservative.  You need to use a proper antimicrobial preservative like parabens, formaldehyde donors, phenoxyethanol, etc.

Lysates are by definition non-living and an antimicrobial preservative will not have any impact on them.

• bill_toge

March 12, 2019 at 9:54 pm

Perry said:

Propylene glycol is not a preservative.  You need to use a proper antimicrobial preservative like parabens, formaldehyde donors, phenoxyethanol, etc.

it can be, at a sufficiently high level (15% or higher) - 1,2-diols have antimicrobial effects and the MIC decreases as the chain length increases

• oldperry

March 12, 2019 at 10:13 pm

@Bill_Toge - good point. 

Speaking of MIC, do you know a source listing the MIC of common ingredients?

• pharma

June 15, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Perry said:

…Speaking of MIC, do you know a source listing the MIC of common ingredients?

I know, it’s an older thread but you might still appreciate an answer.
    There is not ONE MIC for a certain compound. Every antimicrobial has a one (or several depending on how it was determined) MIC for every microbial species or even every serovar/cultivar. Unfortunately, this means that there is no reliable listing. You’ll find short list for antibiotics against common pathogens, though.
  • oldperry

June 15, 2019 at 6:21 pm

@Pharma - Thanks. I was curious and what you say makes sense. The whole notion of an MIC applicable to all microorganisms seemed dubious.

• pharma

June 15, 2019 at 6:54 pm
    You’re welcome.
    That’s the reason why preservatives have recommended usage ranges/concentrations instead. These, however, are usually well above the MIC.