Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Color and makeup Formaldehyde as a colour preservative

• Formaldehyde as a colour preservative

Posted by MurtazaHakim on March 9, 2019 at 3:45 pm

Can we use Formaldehyde in our product to preserve the colour ? We intend to prevent the fading of food grade colours in our product (liquid hand wash,liquid dishwash).

Aziz replied 5 years ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • oldperry

March 10, 2019 at 12:32 am

That depends on what you specifically mean by “formaldehyde”, where you are selling it, and what level you want to use it at.  However, I doubt you’ll get much color protection but you could test it.

• MurtazaHakim

March 10, 2019 at 8:57 am

Formaldehyde as Formalin. I do not know the quantity to be used. I am more concerned about its hazardous nature and it being legally used for handwash formulations.

• oldperry

March 10, 2019 at 2:08 pm

Where are you selling it?

• MurtazaHakim

March 10, 2019 at 3:48 pm

We sell this product in a middle eastern country.
    My question is that “is Formaldehyde ever used in such products” ?

• oldperry

March 10, 2019 at 5:54 pm

Formalin is not used in hand wash formulations any longer. If you want to use “formaldehyde” you would use a formaldehyde donor like DMDM Hydantoin.

• MurtazaHakim

March 10, 2019 at 6:40 pm

DMDM Hydantoin is known to be an antimicrobial agent but what we intend is the preservation of colour. What other colour preservative could we use ?

• oldperry

March 10, 2019 at 7:27 pm

For that you would use an antioxidant like BHA or BHT

• MurtazaHakim

March 11, 2019 at 4:05 pm

What percentage of BHA or BHT is recommended ? 

• oldperry

March 11, 2019 at 6:44 pm

0.01% - 0.1%  The supplier will give you suggestions.

• bill_toge

March 12, 2019 at 9:50 pm

you could also use benzophenone-4 to prevent discolouration, as it’s a radical trap - 0.1% works well for all but the most light-sensitive colours

• belassi

March 12, 2019 at 10:26 pm

See CA Prop 65 … & banned in some countries due to effects on marine life.

• Aziz

March 15, 2019 at 6:35 am

Perry said:

That depends on what you specifically mean by “formaldehyde”, where you are selling it, and what level you want to use it at.  However, I doubt you’ll get much color protection but you could test it.

For colour protection from UV , Benzophenon is used  , I am using Benzophenon 4 . 
    My experience is , if  tap water is used , colour may change periodically and at high pH colour will change . Using DM water he can over come this colour problem . 
    For UV protection Benzophenon 4 can be used .