Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Need help for my shampoo formulation or new farmulation

• Need help for my shampoo formulation or new farmulation

Posted by Sheerazali on March 3, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Sir I need a gud conditioning shampoo farmulation . I have a formulation of shampoo but its not gud . I,m shear my shampoo formulation please gauid me…

(A)
     water …. 60.0%
    Sodium lauryl ether sulphate .. 10.0%
    Sodium lauryl sulphate …. 2.5 %
    Glucose de ….3.5%
    (B) 
    Olive oil…1.0%
    cetearyl alcohol …2.5 %
    (C) 
    glycol stearate….2.0%
    Titanium dioxide….1.0%
    (D)
    Dimethicone copolyol….3.5% conditioning
    Honey…..0.02%
    Sodium benzoate…0.05% preservative 
    Propylene glycol …0.05%
    Sodium chloride.., q.s
    Citric acid …q.s

Phase A add in water and dissolve in water (b) heat and dissolve in oil after cooling add to A and mix (C) then add  and (D) one by one add all ingredients and setup PH under 5.5 to 6.0
    Sir I have this formulation of shampoo but no conditioning and silky and suspend some sistam after 1 or 2 month .. Sir I need conditioning shampoo formulation like a brand . I want to do and make my branded shampoo business start so i need help a gud conditioning farmulation . I will very thankful to you :)

ngarayeva001 replied 4 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • ngarayeva001

March 4, 2019 at 11:24 am

1) You are using not particularly mild surfactants, and no cationic compounds that provide conditioning. 
    2) There are many types of Dimethicone copolyol, and you didn’t specified which one you are using. 
    3) What is glucose de?
    4) Olive oil and cetearyl alcohol provides nothing for the formula. If you want olive oil as a claim ingredient you should reduce it to something like .2% so that it doesn’t interfere with the performance.
    5) Coming back to silicones you added, keep in mind, the purpose of silicone is to reduce surface tention, this translates as “less bubbles”. This is not very desirable for consumers perception.

Having said all that, if you are not a hobbyist and want to make a product for sale, you need a professional formulation services for which you will have to pay. There is a section of this forum, where you can reach out to professionals and ask for services.

• gunther

March 4, 2019 at 2:55 pm

1. Is that 10% active SLES or 10% of 70% SLES gel?
    2. Consider dropping SLS as it’s too drying.
    3 Consider reducing SLES to 8% total active, but no less than that as it will be hard to thicken.
    4. Drop the olive oil, or reduce it to claims ingredient levels 0.01%
    5. Drop the Titanium dioxide, it will just sink to the bottom.
    6. Get a ready-made commercial pearlizer (i.e. Euperlan) instead of plain glycol distearate.
    7. Drop the cetearyl alcohol
    8. What’s glucose de?
    9. Drop the propylene glycol
    10. Add some CAPB, that will improve foam and help reduce the salt required for thickening it.
    11. Reduce the honey content even further to 0.01% claims ingredient levels.
    12. Increase Sodium benzoate preservative to 0.5%

• ngarayeva001

March 4, 2019 at 3:23 pm

@Gunther, good point on CAPB. I would also say replace SLS to SLSa. Great foam and much more gentle.

• belassi

March 4, 2019 at 3:44 pm

And make sure the pH is less than 5.5 or the preservative will be ineffective.

• Sheerazali

March 4, 2019 at 10:48 pm

Thanks to all seniors for ur gauidnes really helpôful . but sir this formulation to I lose everything of my life and I want to start again my business so now I really need both of urs help what I can do for a good conditioning shampoo formulation  I need it very much 😐

• belassi

March 5, 2019 at 12:07 am

There are people here from all over the world. You will get much more relevant help if you tell us:
    1. Where you are.
    2. What kind of sales volume you’re talking about. The kind of advice the hobbyist/small brand/big brand need, are very different.
    3. What access to raw materials do you have - EG do you have access to BASF? CRODA? LUBRIZOL? STEPAN? etc.
    I must say I do not envy the task you gave yourself. I gave up on designing a conditioning shampoo, because I could get optimum performance from neither shampoo nor conditioner.

• ngarayeva001

March 5, 2019 at 10:36 am

I can help you with the formula, but there are many aspects to it as Belassi mentioned. It should be commercialy feasible and it depends on your access to materials and your volumes. It also depends on the market: are people in your region willing to buy products with parabens/silicones/sulfates/whatever, or they want clean/organic/natural nonsense?

• Sheerazali

March 5, 2019 at 12:44 pm

Belassi said:j

There are people here from all over the world. You will get much more relevant help if you tell us:
    1. Where you are.
    2. What kind of sales volume you’re talking about. The kind of advice the hobbyist/small brand/big brand need, are very different.
    3. What access to raw materials do you have - EG do you have access to BASF? CRODA? LUBRIZOL? STEPAN? etc.
    I must say I do not envy the task you gave yourself. I gave up on designing a conditioning shampoo, because I could get optimum performance from neither shampoo nor conditioner.

Sir I,m from Pakistan and I want to start again my new business and want to make a big brand. And sir I access raw materials Basf, croda, and lubrizol and Stephan is some difficult but I will try to find it. And sir if u have any chemicals supplars contact in Pakistan so give me sir and I,m very thankful to you and all Seniors …:)

• ngarayeva001

March 5, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Big brand with one product?

• belassi

March 5, 2019 at 3:59 pm

Well then see if you can find Texapon KD SO3. It is a blended surfactant. Very easy to use.

• Sheerazali

March 9, 2019 at 9:34 am

OK belassi sir first I will try to find texapon KD SO3 if ican find it so I will tell u and sorry for late reply bcz I was busy to shifting home .. 

• Sheerazali

March 11, 2019 at 10:41 am

Belassi sir can u tell me texapon KD SO3 is witch country manufactured ?

• Sheerazali

May 3, 2019 at 12:53 pm

Hye belassi sir how are you ?? … Sir I got it texapon kd so3 

• belassi

May 3, 2019 at 8:39 pm

Oh well there you are then.
    Watch out for the pH. Keep it 6 or below. If pH is too high it will start to smell of ammonia.
    This blend is easy to use. Start by making a 22% solution in deionised water, slowly add CAPB until it thickens. Or sodium cocoamphoacetate. Preservative, 0.4% sodium benzoate works well. Add citric acid to get pH into the range 5 - 5.5

• Sheerazali

May 5, 2019 at 11:50 am

Thank u belassi sir I will try and telling u the result of this shampoo … And sir I have a question about behentrimonium chloride is add in after shampoo conditioner … Can I add in shampoos for conditioning agent ? Gauid me sir ?

• ngarayeva001

May 5, 2019 at 12:35 pm

No, you cannot add cationic emulsifier to anionic system. If you want conditioning components add polyquat 7.

• Sheerazali

May 5, 2019 at 7:35 pm

Thank u ngarayeva sir … Sir gauid me I more question … All cationic surfactant can I not use in shampoo ??? I’m new in cosmetics filed so for knowledge I want to know sir… Cetrimonium chloride is also cationic surfactant like more cationic chemicals I need gauidness 

• ngarayeva001

May 6, 2019 at 3:53 pm

Have you tried to analyze commercial formulas? Look through 10-15 commercial products and it will give you a good idea of ingredients used.

• Sheerazali

May 7, 2019 at 2:32 pm

Sir I want to study all chemicals so reed website and learn u look attach file pic and gauid me sir he say I can add behentrimonium in shampoo can u help me this website is OK or not …. Thank u 

• Sheerazali

May 7, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Sir I want to study all chemicals so reed website and learn u look attach file pic and gauid me sir he say I can add behentrimonium in shampoo can u help me this website is OK or not …. Thank u 

• Sheerazali

May 7, 2019 at 2:35 pm
  • ngarayeva001

May 7, 2019 at 2:40 pm

Behentrimonium Chloride as well as Behentrimonium Methosulfate are cationic. Your shampoo base is anionic. Mixing cationic and anionic compounds lead to the risk of precipitation and instability. The answer to your question: no you can’t add “behetrimonium” to shampoo.

• Sheerazali

May 7, 2019 at 8:10 pm

OK sir thank u so much for gaudiness.. And sir non anionic surfactants I can add in anionic sistem ?

• ngarayeva001

May 7, 2019 at 8:37 pm

I am not sure about ‘non anionic’ but you can add non-ionic. The question is why?