Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Quality of Water for production.

• Quality of Water for production.

Posted by MurtazaHakim on February 14, 2019 at 5:35 pm

Greetings to all the forum members.
    I have a very basic query regarding the quality of water to be used in manufacturing household and personal care products like liquid hand soap, liquid dishwash, liquid disinfectant, liquid Fabric Softeners etc. because water is in the largest proportion in the aforementioned products. We are using water with TDS of 142 ppm (directly from the municipal line) for manufacturing these products and not deionised water. Does it have considerable effect on the quality of the product ? 

What are the economical methods of having deionised water at a large scale ? We have a nameplate capacity of 12400 litres of the above products at maximum utilization.

belassi replied 5 years ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • S_AlAhdab

February 16, 2019 at 2:40 pm

Yes it could effect. In our region once we found an infected product and after investigation the reason was behind the water quality the TDS was above 100 ppm  

• gunther

February 16, 2019 at 2:59 pm

Real deionized water is expensive, and unneeded for cosmetics as it will readily absorb atmosphere gases like Oxygen or CO2 and reverts to lower quality water.

Demineralized or distilled water is much cheaper.
    If the equipment is too expensive for you to purchase, you can find a local supplier and rent a truck that carries (clean) tanks or drums for refill to their facility, as the container cost can quickly add up.

• doreen

February 16, 2019 at 4:54 pm

@Gunther
    I thought that distilled water could also absorb gases like CO2 from the air, that this is the reason why the pH is usually lower over time? Or am I mistaken?

• MurtazaHakim

February 17, 2019 at 1:49 pm

How much TDS is acceptable for the manufacturing of the aforementioned products ?

• S_AlAhdab

February 20, 2019 at 9:50 am

@MurtazaHakim my company’s specification states that TDS should be not more than 100 ppm

• dr-catherine-pratt

February 24, 2019 at 10:12 am

If your worried about absorption from the air you could possibly use N2 ?

• MurtazaHakim

February 24, 2019 at 12:35 pm

The problem we are facing is fading or disappearance of colorants in our products which I think may be due to the reaction between the ions present in the water and the colorant. The colorants as mentioned above are food grade (for example  carmoisine E 122 )

• S_AlAhdab

March 3, 2019 at 12:07 pm

@MurtazaHakim how about the Cl? did you check the absence of it?

• Daniel3359

March 3, 2019 at 1:07 pm

What about silver colloidal water? It also has anti microbic properties

• Mary24

March 4, 2019 at 11:16 am

Look!.. color fading due to the presence of chlorine >> there is a chlorine kits to check if ur water containe chlorine or not try it if there is high chlorine then you have to get rid of by different simple ways search about it 

• belassi

March 4, 2019 at 4:03 pm

First: Does the water contain chlorine or chloramine. 
    Test kits are available and can be found here
    I don’t think you are taking a good approach to dealing with your problem. The very first thing to do is have a water analysis and discover what exactly is in the water; it could be chlorine, chloramine, or a mixture of both.