Strange Bubbles in Formula

thatjoevanthatjoevan Member
edited February 2019 in Formulating
Hi everyone - I have a question about the pomade formula below and bubbles that I'm getting on the surface after I pour it into its container. The bubbles appear almost immediately and once they harden, you can rub/lightly scratch them off of the surface and the product below it is perfect. The bubbles are small and similar to a coarse sandpaper in size. 

Ceteareth-25    25%
Peg-7 Glyceral Cocoate    6%

Water    53.2%
Glycerin    6%
Propylene Glycol    4%
PVP    1%
Triethanolamine    %.3

Phenoxyethanol SA    1%
Bamboo Extract    .5%

PEG-40 HCO    2.5%
Fragrance     .5%

All of this is heated to 85-87C

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Maybe bubbles of air from mixing?
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    That would be my guess. What type of mixer are you using?
  • Chemist77Chemist77 Member, PCF student
    Look at those who ethoxylates, will be surprised if there is no foaming. On the brighter side, it’s all in the process. But minimal foaming is unavoidable.
  • My guess this is on small scale formulations, correct? No real way of avoiding it. Bottom filling with larger batches will alleviate most bubbles. Large batches will also have foam/bubbles which form on the surface during heating and agitation.
  • Dirtnap1 said:
    My guess this is on small scale formulations, correct? No real way of avoiding it. Bottom filling with larger batches will alleviate most bubbles. Large batches will also have foam/bubbles which form on the surface during heating and agitation.
    That makes sense. Thanks for your help!
  • Perry said:
    That would be my guess. What type of mixer are you using?
    Hand mixing with a whisk. I slowed down the stirring quite a bit and that seemed to help in reducing the amount