Non-Sticky Magnesium Ingredient for Cream?

Are there any forms of topical magnesium that are truly non-tacky and do not leave behind a noticeable sensation of residue when applied to the skin?

In other words, have any personal care ingredient suppliers created a magnesium-containing ingredient for skincare that actually has a pleasant non-tacky skin feel and leaves a light, non-residual skin after feel?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, comments and discussion about magnesium-containing ingredients for use in skin creams and lotions.

Thanks!

Comments

• What is the purpose of the magnesium in your cream?
  • Magnesium stearate?
    It is used as a lubricant and demolding aid.
  • @Gunther
    I have no idea which/what magnesium salt is used here.
  • ngarayeva001ngarayeva001 Member
    edited January 23
    @Gunther, I bought some magnesium stearate as it is required to stabilise a formulation (W/O material as per the supplier). But I have way too much, so trying to figure out what other application it has. I suspect it will decrease viscosity of polymers as it reads like salt to me. Would be great if you can share your experiece.
  • @ngarayeva001
    It isn't sure if magnesium stearate is meant here. If the purpose is for stabilizing a W/O it might as well be magnesium sulfate.
  • Depends on the material. For example Empilan DPHS requires both magnesium sulfate and magnesium stearate. If you skip magnesium stearate it will still emulsify but viscosity changes dramatically. 
  • DoreenDoreen Member
    edited January 23
    @ngarayeva001
    No, the question asker here doesn't mention what magnesium salt she/he means. I just mentioned a magnesium salt as an example that it might be any magnesium salt that is meant here.
  • @Doreen
    I would like to know which specific magnesium salt could be added to a skin cream that would have decent transdermal penetration without being sticky or leaving a residue on the skin.

The purpose of the magnesium salt would be as an active ingredient (a form of transdermal magnesium supplementation as in magnesium oil) to supplement magnesium, like a Epsom salt bath but in the form of a skin cream.  The main aim of its potential inclusion in a cream formula would not be for emulsion stabilization but rather as an active.  Ideally, it could perform both functions.

Is there such a thing as a magnesium salt/oil that is not sticky and does not leave a salt residue on your skin after application?  If so, what specific form of topical magnesium salt/oil would have these desirable characteristics?

Thanks again!
  • DoreenDoreen Member
    edited January 24
    I have no idea what magnesium salt would be best for transdermal absorption and that doesn't leave a sticky residue.

Maybe others here can chime in who know more about this subject.
    Good luck with finding a solution! :-)

Edit: typo
  • BelassiBelassi Member
    edited January 24
    According to this report, you are either wasting your time or peddling fairy dust. 
    In the following review, we evaluated the current literature and evidence-based data on transdermal magnesium application and show that the propagation of transdermal magnesium is scientifically unsupported. 

So, basically, you needn't worry about it. Just put in 0.1% of whatever magnesium salt you like and write, "With MAGNESIUM" on the label.

Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    And if you really had any substantial absorption, it is no longer a Cosmetic.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • @Belassi
    The study was enlightening.  Thanks!
  • Magnesium stearate is used as a mold and pharmaceutical lubricant and leaves a powdery afterfeel. Of course too much of it will leave a clumpy, whitish residue.
    You can purchase a pound or Kg of it for a couple $, and see how it feels.

The real challenge is that it won't dissolve in water, so it needs to be suspended.
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    edited January 25
    I would wager that we are speaking about Magnesium sulfate in a solution. It is unfortunately called Magnesium oil the crappers, oops crafters. 
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.