Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Skin Cleanser mildness testing

• Cleanser mildness testing

Posted by belassi on January 10, 2019 at 5:36 pm

I haven’t come across any of THESE methods before.
    1. collagen swelling test
    2. pH increase
    3. Zein test.
    Have any of you used one of these techniques? Where does one obtain the materials (eg collagen sheets)?

belassi replied 5 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • belassi

January 10, 2019 at 6:21 pm

Secondly, according to a report on foaming, (Floratech), A cylinder foam evaluation test was performed to determine foam formation and retention. A concentration of 1.0% test article and 99.0% deionized water was used to create the body wash solution. For this test, 50ml of body wash solution was poured into a 250ml graduated cylinder. The cylinder was covered and inverted 10 times. The test produced foam volume of approximately 190ml. A good body wash/shampoo should have a foam volume of 100ml or more in the cylinder foam evaluation test. Bubbles should be small. Generally, the smaller the bubbles, the longer the foam will persist. Foam retention should remain stable for at least 5 minutes.
    - I tried this with three of our products all of which have been popular. One is the coffee shampoo, another the tea tree shampoo, both based on Stepan APB; and the third is a sulphate-free shampoo from Akypo RLM-45, CAPB and sodium cocoamphoacetate. All three work fine in real conditions but I could only get a foam volume of 60mL not 100mL from all three. (Foam height was 100mL but am subtracting the remaining test solution of 40mL)
    I don’t understand this as in practice the foam is more than adequate.

• belassi

January 11, 2019 at 4:18 pm

Nobody feels able to comment on these questions?
    (Increasingly, I find my questions fail to get answers…  :# )

• sven

January 11, 2019 at 4:57 pm

Eish @Belassi. I always take your advise. Have been busy most of the day replicating this at work.

• Bubbles

January 11, 2019 at 7:21 pm

Late to the party but I formerly worked at a place that made smoked hams and we wrapped every one in a collagen sheet before it was netted. You could try a place that makes a similar product and maybe buy some of theirs or find out where they get theirs. I never knew how much but it was always stressed to us that the collagen sheets were pretty expensive though.

• chemist77

January 12, 2019 at 4:12 am

@Belassi I do the foam test as well but generally for home care products. For shampoo, hand wash liquids, shower preparations, etc. we rely on the actual input from the customer. Never ran a foam test for PC applications until and unless asked by the customer. 

• belassi

January 12, 2019 at 3:31 pm

If one or more of these mildness methods can be accurate I’d like to adopt it as an alternative to letting the shampoo run into my eyes… 

• Soexcited

January 31, 2019 at 8:55 pm
  • Soexcited

January 31, 2019 at 9:06 pm

The CAS number for zein is 9010-66-6

This is the article the collagen sheet test was based on

http://journal.scconline.org/abstracts/cc1986/cc037n04/p00199-p00210.html

• belassi

January 31, 2019 at 9:30 pm

I think I have some collagen sausage casings somewhere. I will have to try some experiments!