• pigments

Posted by Anonymous on December 26, 2018 at 11:40 am

hi all,

i’m trying to add pigments (iron oxides and tio2) to the water phase of my emulsion by using polysorbate 60 as a surfactant and it looks okay until i add xanthan gum and the pigments starts clumping together and the color changes.. any solution for this problem? 

Anonymous replied 5 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • vjay

December 26, 2018 at 11:47 am

You need to used dispersion of iron oxide or tio2 and you have to add in your oil phase

• Anonymous

December 26, 2018 at 12:00 pm

i was hoping i could skip the milling process by using the polysorbate as in my country i don’t have pre dispersed pigments and i have to do it manually..

is there anyway i could add dry pigments directly to water phase?

• gld010

December 26, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Youd need some kind of surface modified pigments coated with something to make them dispersable in water. Is Kobo distributed in your country? Sensient? They have options like this.

You should be milling your pigments anyways, even if they are coated. Coated pigments take less effort to break up/mill/disperse.

Unfortunately emulsifying and thickening will change the color no matter what. It’s frustrating, but that’s how it goes. 

• Anonymous

December 26, 2018 at 2:56 pm

@gld010 unfortunately, they are not distributed in my country (Egypt) so i’m dealing with regular iron oxides no coating.. i find polysorbate 60 is very good in wetting and dispersing pigments and i will try mixing in my oil phase instead