Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating MOLECULAR WEIGHT FOR HYDROLYZED PROTEIN

• MOLECULAR WEIGHT FOR HYDROLYZED PROTEIN

Posted by Marynicole on December 6, 2018 at 5:59 pm

Please, I want to buy hydrolyzed proteins for my shampoo and conditioners, how do I know the molecular size of the protein which is soluble and small enough to penetrate the hair strand  what should I look out for in the data sheet/certificate of analysis? 
    P.s the hydrolyzed protein from the supplier is in powder form.

Marynicole replied 5 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • ngarayeva001

December 6, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Why do you want protein to penetrate the hair strand? The hair above the surface of the skin is dead.

• Marynicole

December 7, 2018 at 10:46 am

Why do you want protein to penetrate the hair strand? The hair above the surface of the skin is dead.

So what are they meant to do? I know it’s a claims ingridients but if you have any idea to my question please answer am in dear need of it

• ngarayeva001

December 7, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Well, there is 500 dalton rule for skincare. The 500 Dalton Rule states that molecules greater than 500 Daltons cannot penetrate stratum corneum (which is a simplification). You need to find out this value for hair. Then write an email to the supplier and ask to confirm the size of those proteins in daltons. But keep in mind, it might be a useless exercise since proteins are large molecules.

• Marynicole

December 7, 2018 at 3:28 pm

But silk amino has been proven to penetrate not so? ngarayeva001 said:

Well, there is 500 dalton rule for skincare. The 500 Dalton Rule states that molecules greater than 500 Daltons cannot penetrate stratum corneum (which is a simplification). You need to find out this value for hair. Then write an email to the supplier and ask to confirm the size of those proteins in daltons. But keep in mind, it might be a useless exercise since proteins are large molecules.

• ngarayeva001

December 7, 2018 at 3:50 pm

Amino acids are building blocks of proteins, so they are much smaller. These all are claim ingredients. You can use it as a selling point but be careful promises. You can say that you are using a complex of amino acids that “penetrate” to hair but don’t say they do anything that you can’t prove. 

• oldperry

December 7, 2018 at 5:24 pm

You can read about the absorption of Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein here.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/08bjawrpi5d9vsl/hair-protein-absorption.pdf?dl=0

The bottom line is this: Hydrolyzed protein can penetrate the hair and it doesn’t matter much which one because they all will to some extent. BUT you’re not going to see any noticeable impact on the important characteristics of the hair like combing, manageability, split ends, etc. The effect of cationic surfactants and silicones will overwhelm any impact you might see from proteins.

• Marynicole

December 8, 2018 at 11:09 pm

Amino acids are building blocks of proteins, so they are much smaller. These all are claim ingredients. You can use it as a selling point but be careful promises. You can say that you are using a complex of amino acids that “penetrate” to hair but don’t say they do anything that you can’t prove. 

Thank you so much…very helpful

• Marynicole

December 8, 2018 at 11:21 pm

Perry said:7

You can read about the absorption of Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein here.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/08bjawrpi5d9vsl/hair-protein-absorption.pdf?dl=0

The bottom line is this: Hydrolyzed protein can penetrate the hair and it doesn’t matter much which one because they all will to some extent. BUT you’re not going to see any noticeable impact on the important characteristics of the hair like combing, manageability, split ends, etc. The effect of cationic surfactants and silicones will overwhelm any impact you might see from proteins.

Waow!!! Thank u so much