Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair When to cap hair styling clay pomade?

• When to cap hair styling clay pomade?

Posted by KingRoland78 on November 24, 2018 at 7:16 pm

After making my water based styling clay, and the final pour into containers, I notice that big companies place them in cooling racks.  I have a few questions…

1. How long are you suppose to leave them uncapped?

2. Do you refrigerate them?

I’m asking because I always get this firm top layer.  It’s really annoying.  I typically place the jars in the coolest room in my house overnight then cap them in the morning.  

KingRoland78 replied 5 years, 1 month ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • KingRoland78

November 24, 2018 at 8:23 pm

Also, when I stir I get air bubbles.  Too much air…how do you minimize this?  Can I spray with alcohol?  

• fekher

November 25, 2018 at 5:30 pm

@KingRoland78 try to reduce the speed of stiring it helps to minimize bubbles.

• bill_toge

November 25, 2018 at 6:05 pm

get them as cool as practically possible before filling them into containers, and put the caps on them straight away; this ensures any water loss (which causes the hard layer) is kept to a minimum

• gunther

November 25, 2018 at 9:10 pm
  • justa_pinch

November 26, 2018 at 7:58 pm

I use a small stick mixer and always have bubbles on top of my trials. Been trying to figure out to eliminate that from happening.

• Dirtnap1

November 26, 2018 at 11:55 pm

Proper mixing and time to settle with reduced speed mixing will eliminate most air bubbles. Moreover, bottom dispensing/filling will help as well… i.e. gravity drain on main vessel to containers being filled.

• KingRoland78

February 16, 2019 at 7:35 pm

@justa_pinch @Bill_Toge caping my containers right after pouring really helped that firm top layer!! I actually used cheesecloth so it can breathe a little.  Still having issues with final product being kinda frothy with air.  Almost looks like i whipped up thick butter.