When to cap hair styling clay pomade?

After making my water based styling clay, and the final pour into containers, I notice that big companies place them in cooling racks.  I have a few questions...

1. How long are you suppose to leave them uncapped?

2. Do you refrigerate them?

I'm asking because I always get this firm top layer.  It's really annoying.  I typically place the jars in the coolest room in my house overnight then cap them in the morning.  

Comments

• Also, when I stir I get air bubbles.  Too much air...how do you minimize this?  Can I spray with alcohol?  
  • FekherFekher Member, Professional Chemist
    @KingRoland78 try to reduce the speed of stiring it helps to minimize bubbles.
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    get them as cool as practically possible before filling them into containers, and put the caps on them straight away; this ensures any water loss (which causes the hard layer) is kept to a minimum
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • I use a small stick mixer and always have bubbles on top of my trials. Been trying to figure out to eliminate that from happening.
  • Proper mixing and time to settle with reduced speed mixing will eliminate most air bubbles. Moreover, bottom dispensing/filling will help as well... i.e. gravity drain on main vessel to containers being filled.
  • @justa_pinch @Bill_Toge caping my containers right after pouring really helped that firm top layer!! I actually used cheesecloth so it can breathe a little.  Still having issues with final product being kinda frothy with air.  Almost looks like i whipped up thick butter.