Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions Most Effective whitening agent

• Most Effective whitening agent

Posted by UsmanAli on November 1, 2018 at 10:56 am

hi How are you.
    sir i want to know about any active ingredient(whitening agent) which can give white skin in 7 days whitout any other ingredient. 
    Please tell me if anyone know about more effective whitening agent.

raiyana replied 4 years, 5 months ago 13 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • ngarayeva001

November 1, 2018 at 3:30 pm

Hydroquinone. I am not sure that it will work in 7 days. And its use is restricted in many countries.

• belassi

November 1, 2018 at 3:38 pm
  • chemist77

November 1, 2018 at 4:35 pm

@Belassi I was just holding my breath for you to come up with something like this. 

• gunther

November 1, 2018 at 10:00 pm

For such a short time, 7 days
    a paler makeup foundations (or anthing that leaves a paler coat on skin) seems like the only alternative.
    It will rinse away upon washing, though.

Hydroquinone is the most effective whitening agent as @ngarayeva001  said

Resorcinol
    Main article: Resorcinol
    Resorcinol or m-hydroquinone is often used in skin-lightener cosmetics in countries where free hydroquinone is prohibite
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_whitening
  • amitvedakar

November 2, 2018 at 10:02 am

Does not it depend on skin type or Age?

• ngarayeva001

November 2, 2018 at 1:22 pm

I don’t think that age has anything to do with it. An extend of sun exposure does. What do you mean by skin type? If dry/normal/oily then no.

• microformulation

November 2, 2018 at 2:11 pm
    By skin type, he is referring to different skin pigmentations as classified under the Fitzpatrick scale.
    Alas, I highly doubt that the OP will find a single ingredient (or multiple even) that will affect a change in skin pigmentation in just 7 days. Even if it were possible, you would see marked inflammation as well. It isn’t a realistic marketing benchmark.
  • ngarayeva001

November 2, 2018 at 2:30 pm

I agree. Skin doesn’t regenerate that fast. A product needs at least a couple of weeks (sometimes months) to show results. Some time is required even when lasers are used to break pigment in melasma (i might be wrong but I think it’s two weeks not one).

• jeromeinthehouse

November 29, 2018 at 6:25 pm

You can try hexylresorcinol, which is more effective then hydroquinone, without the side effects.

• oldperry

November 29, 2018 at 6:34 pm

@jeromeinthehouse - more effective than hydroquinone? Do you have a link to a study that shows this?

• jeromeinthehouse

November 29, 2018 at 6:52 pm

the author used .5% hexylresorcinol, comparing to 2 % hydroquinone and found that it is just as effective

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/283776287_Hexylresorcinol_Providing_Skin_Benefits_by_Modulating_Multiple_Molecular_Targets

• oldperry

November 29, 2018 at 9:17 pm

Thanks.

The following technology review paper suggests 4-Butylresorcinol is superior to hexylresorcinol. 

Mayuree Kanlayavattanakul & Nattaya Lourith (2018) Skin hyperpigmentation
    treatment using herbs: A review of clinical evidences, Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy, 20:2,
    123-131, DOI: 10.1080/14764172.2017.1368666

• Anonymous

December 3, 2018 at 3:51 pm

It’s really amazing to take part in this world class forum of cosmetics industry 

• Anonymous

June 8, 2019 at 1:11 am

I agree. Skin doesn’t regenerate that fast. A product needs at least a couple of weeks (sometimes months) to show results. Some time is required even when lasers are used to break pigment in melasma (i might be wrong but I think it’s two weeks not one).

I agree. Topical treatments take time (depending on age, 4-6 weeks or longer) and the use of a hat and sunscreen! Unless the pigmentation to be faded is surgically altered, the pigment will comeback when the topical is discontinued and/or the area gets sun exposure. Sorry!

• dtdang

June 8, 2019 at 12:59 pm

Completely fading dark spot is quite difficult to get, but you can see the results like even skin color and % fading dark spot 
    try alpha-arbutin + ethyl ascorbic acid 

• ngarayeva001

June 8, 2019 at 3:11 pm

@Dtdang, may I ask if you bought ethyl ascorbic acid from a retailer (DIY quantity)? I can’t find it anywhere. Sorry for off topic.

• dtdang

June 8, 2019 at 3:55 pm

@ngarayeva001
    fision activewhite lotioncrafter

• dtdang

June 8, 2019 at 3:58 pm

It combines both ethyl ascorbic acid and alpha arbutin together 

• bil7

October 17, 2019 at 9:48 am

Kojic dipalmitate 4 percent sodium ascorbyl phosphate 2 percent arbutin 2 percent hydroquinone 2 percent with vitamin e 5 percent plus lactic 2 percent and glycolic 1 percent works better

• ngarayeva001

October 17, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Whooooa! That’s overkill! You don’t need alpha arbutin if hydroquinone is already there. Alpha arbutin is a weak derivative of hydroquinone and it has the same mechanism of blocking tyrosinase as HQ, so why do you need both? Vitamin e has nothing to do with skin lightening. 

• bil7

October 17, 2019 at 5:31 pm

Whooooa! That’s overkill! You don’t need alpha arbutin if hydroquinone is already there. Alpha arbutin is a weak derivative of hydroquinone and it has the same mechanism of blocking tyrosinase as HQ, so why do you need both? Vitamin e has nothing to do with skin lightening. 

Vitamin e didn’t meant here for whitening it for skin nourishing after usage dry effect 

• ngarayeva001

October 17, 2019 at 8:31 pm

Vitamin e at such concentration will act as pro-oxidant.

• gmliii

October 20, 2019 at 7:59 pm

@Dtdang, may I ask if you bought ethyl ascorbic acid from a retailer (DIY quantity)? I can’t find it anywhere. Sorry for off topic.

https://www.bulkactives.com/product/product/ethyl-ascorbic-acid.html

• ngarayeva001

October 20, 2019 at 9:39 pm

Thank you @gmliii!

• raiyana

October 21, 2019 at 10:18 am

how about n-acetyl glucosamine? Is it any better than alpha arbutin?