Decent Hot Plate with Magnetic Stirrer

Hello everyone!

I have been looking around on the internet to see if I could find myself a relatively cheap hot plate with a magnetic stirrer. I only plan to use it for my hobbies so it does not need to be up to lab standards.

My ideal price point is around $100CAD (cheaper would not be much of a problem). 

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good ones. As of now, I am leaning towards this one here that I found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/YaeTek-Magnetic-Stirrer-Stirring-Capacity/dp/B079DJT8TD/ref=pd_sim_328_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B079DJT8TD&pd_rd_r=32037fbd-da32-11e8-943e-3f50e486d3b4&pd_rd_w=ep2pq&pd_rd_wg=3Yk1s&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_p=f2db799a-cb6a-4ff5-b84b-b317891b94a8&pf_rd_r=9YHNDYJXKYJN5CC5B7TP&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=9YHNDYJXKYJN5CC5B7TP

I was actually hoping to spend around $80CAD but I don't think that that will be possible if I want to have something which won't fall apart after three days.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks 

Comments

• PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    If you're making cosmetic products, a magnetic stirrer isn't really necessary.
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    edited October 2018
    If I were looking for any bells or whistles in a hot plate, it would be digital temperature control. You would find that a magnetic stirring bead would simply bind-up in the thicker viscosities of creams and lotions. You will likely be using an overhead lab stirrer instead.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • Thanks for the helpful responses @Perry @Microformulation

I might end up a oidi g the magnetic stick then although I was planning on having digital temperature control.
  • I find stir bars helpful when pre-making slurries and small amounts of solutions (dyes, pH adjusters, etc) but we have a LOT of hot plates around, if you're only buying one then you should probably focus on other features.