Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Effective Masking Agents or Other Ingredients to Help Make Lotion “Unscented”?

• Effective Masking Agents or Other Ingredients to Help Make Lotion “Unscented”?

Posted by Spadirect on October 21, 2018 at 12:14 am

What are effective masking agents or other ingredients available to add to a body lotion to help make it “unscented”?

On the other hand, what are some common ingredients often found in body lotions that you should try to avoid in order to formulate an “unscented” body lotion? 

Naturally, no cosmetic formula is truly devoid of aroma.  Therefore, my goal is to learn about some effective ingredients available that when added to a formula would possibly help make an honest and accurate marketing claim that a lotion is “unscented”?

Spadirect replied 5 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • chemicalmatt

October 21, 2018 at 10:21 pm

This would require a seminar to answer effectively.

• EVchem

October 22, 2018 at 1:35 pm

“an honest and accurate marketing claim”… well I applaud that idea but doubt it being a reality.

That aside, I think of unscented as meaning no scent intentionally added. If you’re concerned about a specific product, I think the easiest advice is to smell your raw materials individually first. As far as an example, people like to use phenoxyethanol as part of preservation, but it has a  “chemical” scent. 

• oldperry

October 22, 2018 at 1:49 pm

Cyclodextrins are used in some systems to reduce odor.

• Spadirect

October 25, 2018 at 1:01 am

The literature on cyclodextrins indicates they are effective deodorizing agents in cosmetics.  Also, as polysaccharides they should be harmless health-wise.

What have been forum contributing chemists’ experiences and impressions about formulating with cyclodextrins?