Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Natural Deodorant Formulation with Magnesium

• Natural Deodorant Formulation with Magnesium

Posted by rebeccaso on October 10, 2018 at 5:23 pm

Hi, I have a roll-on deodorant with apple cider vinegar. It works pretty well but I’d like to see how I can improve it. I’ve seen many deodorants with magnesium chloride and/or magnesium hydroxide. I don’t think I would want magnesium hydroxide as it raises the pH which just negates my apple cider vinegar.

What about magnesium chloride? Can I mix it with vinegar and water? Or will that create a chemical reaction like “cleaning a penny”?

How about magnesium sulfate?

Am I simply creating a salt solution if I add either of these (or both?) ingredients? I’ve heard that magnesium chloride can be irritating so I wouldn’t want to add it unless it has great deodorizing benefit. Your thoughts?

Appreciate your input.

markbroussard replied 5 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • belassi

October 10, 2018 at 5:48 pm

What about magnesium chloride? Can I mix it with vinegar and water? Or will that create a chemical reaction like “cleaning a penny”? 
    Why not try it and see?

• markbroussard

October 10, 2018 at 7:48 pm

Magnesium Chloride will lower the pH so it is compatible with cider vinegar.  It will, however, make your concoction feel “oily”

Look up Magnesium Oil … it is a popular topical product made of 30% to 35% Magnesium Chloride and water.

• rebeccaso

October 10, 2018 at 8:08 pm

@MarkBroussard Thank you for the suggestion. I actually bought a magnesium oil that says, “Our Pure Magnesium Oil is mined as a liquid (with a 28.9 - 34.2% concentration), in its ionic state. It is then purified and tested to ensure the removal of all harmful contaminants. Each ounce of our Pure Magnesium Oil contains 3182 mg of elemental magnesium (538 mg per teaspoon), yielding about 215 mg of elemental magnesium for 8 sprays.”

I was initially thinking of starting with 0.5% of magnesium chloride in my deodorant. If I’m using an oil, what % would you suggest? 1.5%?

• markbroussard

October 10, 2018 at 8:46 pm

The Magnesium Oil is not going to do much for you as it regards deodorizing other than lowering the pH to create a “hostile” environment for microbial growth, but i could have some label appeal to the crowd that likes to use Magnesium Oil.  I would start with 5% and see where you wind up when you measure the pH.