Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Trying to get my foot in the door! HELP!

• Trying to get my foot in the door! HELP!

Posted by Anonymous on December 23, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I am at wits end. I’ve been trying to get a job as a Bench/ Formulations Chemist, and I am having horrible luck. I’ve been a perfumer tech, a stability chemist, and now I’m a Coordinator/ technologist and I’m overseeing the development of personal
    care products from start to finish. The problem is that I am no longer in the
    lab.  All these companies seem to want
    someone with years of experience. I can’t compete. I’ve been trying to teach
    myself with the help of aids offered by the SCC. What else can I do to make myself marketable or
    are there other ways to gain experience? PLEASE HELP! What should I do?

mayurdave replied 10 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • bobzchemist

December 25, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Have you been working with recruiters?

• Anonymous

December 25, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I’ve working with them, but companies want someone with years of experience. How do I get experience if they won’t give me a chance. I know I can do it. Its so frustrating

• bobzchemist

December 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I know it’s frustrating. It may take a while. Don’t limit yourself to just one recruiter, but keep track of who sends your resume where. Get active on LinkedIn, also.

You have a few longer-term  options - first, you could try to identify a large company that’s hiring, that you want to work with. Take Avon, for example. Then, be persistent. Connect with their chemists and managers on LinkedIn, go to SCC meetings and network, etc.

Option 2 is to expand your search to include private label manufacturers and ingredient suppliers.
    Option 3 is to enroll in a Masters degree program that has good industry contacts and/or internships.
    Lastly, you might want to consider setting up a home lab and doing some formulation yourself.
  • Anonymous

December 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm

You are awesome! I love the idea of the home lab! I love experimenting and being hands on so I think that will be a great way to learn. Also, I will definitely become more active with the SCC and linked in. I’ve been putting grad school off for a while (simply because my current company won’t pay) but I think that I need to get over the cost and go ahead with it. Thanks for the wonderful advice!!!!

• bobzchemist

December 30, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Don’t overlook the resources provided by Perry’s courses, either.

• Anonymous

January 3, 2014 at 10:36 am

I definitely won’t. I’ve already completed his beginning cosnetic chemist course and I try to keep my eyes out for any other courses

• bobzchemist

January 3, 2014 at 10:46 am

Now is the right time to intensify your search. The holidays are over, and a new fiscal year has started (for some companies) If an increase in headcount has been approved, now is when some companies will start looking.

Pay attention to the SCC help wanted ads and the online job search websites.
  • microformulation

January 3, 2014 at 1:27 pm

@KrystleA Where are you located?

• Anonymous

January 6, 2014 at 3:19 pm

I’m located in Northern NJ

• bobzchemist

January 7, 2014 at 11:12 am

You are in an excellent location. Avon seems to be hiring, have you checked with them?

Also, if you can afford it, you need to start going to the NYSCC meetings, and reading their newsletter:

- Upcoming 2013 NYSCC Events Calendar • http://www.nyscc.org
     - January 15 NYSCC Chapter Meeting, Pines Manor, Edison, NJ
     - February (TBD) Joint Meeting with the Chinese SCC, Edison, NJ
    The current newsletter has very good tips on using social media:

Going to at least one day of the NYSCC suppliers day trade show should be a priority:

- Have plenty of business cards ready - at least 100, more would be better. If you don’t have any from your current employer, get some made up with your name and contact info. 
    - Bring at least a few copies of your resume. If you don’t have one already, make a short version that fits on one page.
    - Dress in interview clothes - you never know if an opportunity will arise spontaneously

Connect with me on LinkedIn, please:

Good Luck!
  • Anonymous

January 20, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Thanks so much! I will definitely do those things! I have applied to Avon with no avail. They are saying that they want formulations experience. I will keep trying and not get pessimistic just yet!

• bobzchemist

January 20, 2014 at 3:03 pm

One option to try is to contact the various private label/contract manufacturing companies. Sometimes, they are more willing to take on someone with less experience. These would be places like Kolmar, etc.

• bobzchemist

January 20, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Have we connected on LinkedIn yet?

• mayurdave

February 20, 2014 at 10:32 pm

If you want to work P/T, I may know of someone.