Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Preservatives for shower gel

• Preservatives for shower gel

Posted by Lisa18 on September 29, 2018 at 9:53 pm
    Good evening to everyone.
    I am writing for some formulation advice on the most appropriate preservative system to be included in a shower gel. These are formulations containing ethoxylated surfactants and I have not developed samples with the mixture: phenoxyethanol, dehydroacetic acid and benzoic acid.Do you have experience with this preservative system?
    I noticed, after months, the formation of small precipitates on the bottom of the bottle … can it be a problem of solubilization of the preservative? Thanks in advance!
    Lisa
    Lisa18 replied 5 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • microformulation

September 30, 2018 at 3:43 pm

To get a good answer, you will need to post the Formula with wt/wt percentages. Off-hand, I doubt the precipitate is an issue of the preservative but likely another aspect of the Formulation.

• gunther

September 30, 2018 at 6:30 pm

Most people use Sodium Benzoate instead of bare Benzoic acid which ain’t as soluble and might precipitate.

• belassi

September 30, 2018 at 8:37 pm

dehydroacetic acid  >:)  :s  

• Lisa18

October 1, 2018 at 8:10 am

Thanks for you for your valuable advices.
    Surfactant base of my shower gel includes ‘ammonium lauryl sulfate’ as primary surfactant.
    Could it be a interaction between primary surfactant and preservative (phenoxyethanol, dehydroacetic acid and benzoic acid)?Or a presence of Chelating agent (Tetrasodium glutamate diacetate)? 
    Thanks in advance
    Lisa