Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cocamidopropyl Betaine (CAPB) Manufacturing

• Cocamidopropyl Betaine (CAPB) Manufacturing

Posted by sendtoryan on September 14, 2018 at 7:17 am

Dear all, being trying to find out for weeks on how can i produce CAPB.

So far what i managed to find out from the internet and books is that that “Cocamidopropyl betaine
    production starts by reacting coconut oil fatty acids with 3,3-dimethylaminopropylamine,
    which yields cocamidopropyl dimethylamine. Cocamidopropyl dimethylamine is then reacted with sodium
    monochloroacetate to produce cocamidopropyl betaine.”

However, it does not mentions the molar ratios, the process parameters and reaction times for both stages. Can someone please guide me as to how or whom might be able to help me find these information please? 

das replied 5 years, 3 months ago 10 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • sven

September 14, 2018 at 7:27 am

handbook of detergents part f production

• DrAndrewWorthen

September 15, 2018 at 12:03 am

In what kind of setting to you plan on doing this synthesis?  Some of the compounds that you mentioned have significant hazards associated with them.

• belassi

September 15, 2018 at 12:51 am

If you’re going to these lengths, you may as well make MDMA instead, it’s more profitable.

• microformulation

September 15, 2018 at 2:45 pm
    @Belassi I couldn’t agree more! If you are going to do an elegant chemical synthesis, why waste it on CAPB?
    I am more focused on creating the end product for the client, not synthesizing common ingredients. I could get on Prospector and have any number of samples of CAPB in varying forms. I can also purchase from any number of manufacturers.
  • gunther

September 15, 2018 at 5:52 pm

@sendtoryan CAPB manufacturing requires hard to source, dangerous chemicals and maybe expensive equipment for safety.

You’ll need to make a lot of it to be profitable.
    I can get some nice, generic chinese CAPB for $2.50 per Kilo, retail price by the Kg. Even cheaper by the drum.

@Belassi
    LOL @ CAPB Heisenberg (Breaking Bad).
    ROFL this one really made me laugh.

• Max

September 17, 2018 at 3:39 am

Why make when it is so cheap and available in tons?

• sendtoryan

October 25, 2018 at 11:26 am

Thanks all for response..after speaking to various chinese and indian suppliers, they all told me that CAPB was widely used and in large quantities therefore i thought that if manufactured on a large scale it would make sense..

Would MES be a more attractive opinon then? However capital equipment investment for MES is in the millions region..

• sendtoryan

October 25, 2018 at 11:28 am

Sorry i didnt clarify myself. We run a very small family business manufacturing kde and cde at the moment. So looking into possibilities into expanding the business alittle. 

• dr-catherine-pratt

November 29, 2018 at 6:24 am

Breaking Bad!

• luiscuevasii

November 30, 2018 at 3:53 pm

Right now im making 70%-80% glycerin from spent lye of soap synthesys and ussing it to make ethyleneglycol estearate/diestearare , in my country where is very diffcult to find any foreing currency its very profitable to make our own raw materials, in fact some times making our own raw materials is the only way to obtain they. i have bought Betaine from 5-6$/kilogram.  

• das

November 30, 2018 at 9:58 pm

OMG what a scam.

Supply and demand is a bitch.