Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Emulsifying Castor Seed Oil with Jojoba Seed Oil

• Emulsifying Castor Seed Oil with Jojoba Seed Oil

Posted by mindycheng on August 29, 2018 at 5:35 pm

Hello,
    I’m making a face oil cleanser that uses 25% castor seed oil and 75% jojoba oil, but the castor seed oil is so dense that it eventually sinks to the bottom.  What is the rule of thumb for emulsifying two oils together? I’m looking for something all natural or naturally derived. 

I love the idea of using Dr. Straetman’s dermofeel easymuls plus (INCI: Glyceryl Oleate Citrate) since it can be cold processed. I tried using 5% of this and decreased the other two proportionately, and it seems to kind of work - I see most of it emulsified, but the bottom of the bottle still looks more cloudy than the top. 

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

bill_toge replied 5 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • bill_toge

August 29, 2018 at 7:11 pm
    my suspicion is that one or both of these oils is not what it claims to be - both oils should mix together and form a uniform stable mixture without any need for a third substance
  • mindycheng

August 29, 2018 at 10:13 pm

@Bill_Toge, thank you for your input, much appreciated.  I’m happy to hear that in theory the two oils should mix well with no issues.

I am using products from Ingredients To Die For with Datasheets that show that they are what they claim:
    Castor Seed Oil: http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item/Castor_Oil/833
    Jojoba Seed Oil: http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item/Jojoba_Oil_Golden_Non_Sprayed/387

My next step is to try a different source, perhaps these two raw materials aren’t true after all.

• mindycheng

August 31, 2018 at 2:59 am

FYI - I found out that Jojoba Seed Oil is not an oil, it is a liquid wax, which is probably causing the separation. My next question is what kind of emulsifier can help bind this liquid oil to a carrier oil like castor seed oil?

• bill_toge

August 31, 2018 at 9:10 am

it doesn’t matter whether you call it a liquid wax or an oil - they are chemically compatible, so they should mix together