Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Skin How to choose herbal oils

• How to choose herbal oils

Posted by dtdang on August 26, 2018 at 1:12 am

I am not professional cosmetic formulator. So, I hope that this forum will input ideas to this discussion. I found very interesting ideas as below:
    1) choose the oils that have linoleic acid and oleic acid.
    2) choose the oils that do not clog pores
    3) choose the oils that are easy absorbed through skin and no leaving grease
    4) choose the oils having 1) 2) & 3). Then make sure that they fit your skin types.

Thanks you so much for your inputs.

oldperry replied 5 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Sibech

August 26, 2018 at 8:48 am

@dtdang what exactly is your question?

• belassi

August 26, 2018 at 1:23 pm
  • ngarayeva001

August 26, 2018 at 7:05 pm

@Dtdang I can help you with the starting point. Go to any shopping mall that sells skincare. Try products on your hand (to understand  whether you like the texture) first. Try to get as many samples as you can (to compare with what you make). Figure out what do you like. Then go to beautypedia.com find the products you liked the most and check ingredients lists. See what oils do they use. I can predict that you will notice that the majority use: shea butter, jojoba oil, squalane, camelia chinesis oil (also triglycerides). Many would also use petrolatum. There are good reasons why big companies use those oils. You will see slightly different mix for body products (almond, cocoa, coconut). 

• ngarayeva001

August 26, 2018 at 7:27 pm

If you don’t know what products to try I can give you a list of products with supreme texture: chanel sublimage, dior prestige la creme, SK-II RNA, creme de La Mer, Sisley black rose (aging skin). Have a look at la roche posay Effaclar M and Clinique Pep Start Hydroblur for oily skin. 

• dtdang

August 26, 2018 at 9:12 pm

Thanks Ngarayeva001. Wonderful idea! I just tried out chanel, la Mer moisturize cream. Their texture is nice!  
    I look at their ingredients and found that most of them are chemicals. Their cream has no expire date. Very expensive!

• microformulation

August 27, 2018 at 12:28 am
    What kind of ingredients are not chemicals?
  • dtdang

August 27, 2018 at 2:55 am

Natural ingredients such as rosehip oil, turmeric extract 
    the natural ingredients are extracted from herbsor botanicals, etc…..

chemical ingredients are are from petroleum or made from labs (synthetic)

thanks 

• dtdang

August 27, 2018 at 3:02 am

My discussion topic makes quite few do not like. Sorry!  

• ngarayeva001

August 27, 2018 at 4:24 am

@Dtdang the beauty of this profession (for me it’s a hobby) is that you can look at the ingredients list and copy $450 moisturizer. Even more, you can make it better. It took me 5 months and more than 30 attempts to copy Chanel Sublimage but it was the most satisfying thing I did.

Now, regarding ‘chemicals’ I agree with @Microformulation. Everything is a chemical. Look at baby products. They use petrolatum. For babies! Why don’t they use ‘natural’ oils for little babies? If you understand the reason I hope you get rid of your chemophobia. Look what La Roche Posay use for irritated skin and skin with eczema. I listed Chanel Sublimage as the fist product because you like vegetable oil. Sublimage is loaded with ‘natural oils’ it has 6 or 7 (for marketing only!) Use it as a benchmark if you want to go ‘natural’. It’s as natural as you can get. Or stick to formulas made of organic olive oil, stearic acid, bees wax and deionised water. Don’t preserve it and it will have a shelf life of a week. And don’t expect it to have a nice texture.

• microformulation

August 27, 2018 at 11:59 am

@DTDang I disagree wholeheartedly. “Natural ingredients such as rosehip oil, turmeric extract, the natural ingredients are extracted from herbs or botanicals, etc……”, “chemical ingredients are from petroleum or made from labs (synthetic).” is entirely incorrect that first you are redefining a hundred(s) year old established term accepted by million unilaterally because you think it works better with your naturalistic fallacy. You will need to look at what this term really means and ask why you feel it means differently. Ultimately the bulk of us are Scientists and I doubt any one of these contributors can support your fallacy.

• oldperry

August 27, 2018 at 1:36 pm

@Dtdang - The first thing to know when choosing an oil is what exactly are you choosing the oils to do?