Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Replacing some ingredients

• Replacing some ingredients

Posted by Anonymous on July 10, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Dear all 
    I’m into new project to produce cream and depends on the sources I can get from supplier the cost of the cream is very high to compitte with other cream available in market,  so please I will post soon some of the ingredients if I can get any advice of an alternative safe replacement to use in my project 

doreen replied 5 years, 8 months ago 7 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • oldperry

July 10, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Without the ingredient list, you’re not going to get much advice.

• Anonymous

July 11, 2018 at 8:30 am

The ingredients list 
    1- glycerin
    2- Carbomer 
    3- petroleum jelly
    4- Cetyl Alcohol 
    5- Dimethicone 
    6- liquid German plus 

This the ingredients I’m trying to found and alternative choice to replace is , please any advice 

• EVchem

July 11, 2018 at 11:26 am

So you want alternatives that are cheaper? Honestly those aren’t (in my experience) expensive raw materials, and they can get much cheaper the more you are willing to buy in bulk. 
    Where are you located? That’s also going to determine which suppliers you can use

• belassi

July 11, 2018 at 1:12 pm

The only one that would be cheaper is, you could substitute liquid Belgian for the liquid German.

• oldperry

July 11, 2018 at 1:38 pm

@Bilalkhaz - You still need to provide more information to give you a good answer.  All the things that @EVchem mentions would be important to know. 

Also, the specific formula would be helpful too. 

@Belassi - lol  :D

• Biochemist

July 11, 2018 at 2:22 pm

@doreen he’s at it again ??. Never miss a beat @Belassi

• belassi

July 11, 2018 at 3:24 pm

We did try liquid Russian at one time. It was incredibly cheap but it came as an alcoholic tincture.

• microformulation

July 11, 2018 at 3:45 pm

:) :) :)

• microformulation

July 11, 2018 at 3:48 pm

But honestly, at least an initial review of his list of ingredients shows that in most cases he is not likely to find a less expensive alternative or more easily obtainable material. The list is made-up of what could be called Cosmetic essentials (Glycerin, Carbomer (grade?), Petrolatum, Cetyl alcohol, Dimethicone and a very widely used preservative).

• Anonymous

July 12, 2018 at 10:17 am

First thank you all for the nice reviews. 
    I’m located in Africa nigeria I move my factory not while ago from lebanon to nigeria ibadan estate because of the cheaper handwork here .

The formula I’m planning to use is 

Cocoa cream : 

Water 2250 L
    EDTA 4.5 L
    Glycerin 150 
    Carbomer 4.5
    Petroleum jelly 105
    Paraffin 90
    Cetyl Alcohol 90
    Cocoa butter 60kg
    Dimethicone 15
    Camwood 9
    Stearic acid 120
    Tea 8
    Aloe Vera 1.5
    Honey 15
    Methyl paraben 15
    Propyl paraben 30

Thus formula to produce 500 carton or 250ml 
    Cream 

Please advise I get some info that xanthan Gum 
    And collagen can help is some replacement 
    I want to replace wish cheaper because is not available much here in Nigeria. 

Bilal khazaal 

• Anonymous

July 12, 2018 at 10:19 am

I’m looking for alternative that can do same job so I can start looking for others supplier but also want something can match my formula.  :( 

• Anonymous

July 12, 2018 at 10:19 am

@Perry OK sir 

• Anonymous

July 12, 2018 at 10:20 am

@AustinDavid thanks sir 

• belassi

July 12, 2018 at 2:59 pm

Mar haba.
    That’s the problem you created with raw material supply, I am quite familiar with Nigeria, watch out for the mosquitoes, have you had malaria yet? If not, you soon will. I’d move back if I were you. In my opinion, you have the proportions of methyl vs ethyl parabens reversed. And why are you including honey… 

• dr-catherine-pratt

July 13, 2018 at 1:18 pm

@Bilalhazk I agree with @Belassi why honey? tea? and you can probably find a butter that is cheaper, shea is cheaper here, but not sure over there.

• EVchem

July 13, 2018 at 1:26 pm

@bilalhazk I doubt this is the case but by “tea” do you mean TEA (triethanolamine)? to neutralize your carbomer?

• dr-catherine-pratt

July 13, 2018 at 2:47 pm

@bilalhazk sorry I didn’t realise you are making a cocoa cream . @EVchem he didn’t put the tea in caps. @Bilalkhaz you can ding can find xanthan gum in food stores, you only need a tiny amount to add to glycerin, just trying to help

• doreen

July 14, 2018 at 8:54 am

@Biochemist
    Thanks for tagging me, lol!!! Liquid German, reminds me somehow of Terminator II. :joy: :joy:

• doreen

July 17, 2018 at 1:52 pm

@Biochemist
    (about the Terminator II referral: I forgot it was the other Terminator guy who was liquid (metal), lol!)

• Biochemist

July 17, 2018 at 2:10 pm

@Doreen ?? he’s moved on from liquid German and is now concerned about malaria (☝?Post). Apologies all for sidetracking this interesting thread

• doreen

July 19, 2018 at 5:49 am

@Biochemist
    :joy:  :joy: