Microcystalline Wax:  2.97%
    PEG 40 Castor Oil:  2.97%
    PEG 7 Glyceryl Cocoate:  3.72%
    Kaolin Clay:  2.6%

justa_pinch replied 5 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • bill_toge

June 22, 2018 at 1:48 pm

well they’re all numbers followed by a % sign, so they’re definitely the genuine article

• belassi

June 22, 2018 at 2:12 pm

Do you know that applying olive oil to the hair encourages the growth of Malassezia and thus, causes dandruff?
    What is the reason for that mixture? Just use coconut oil and jojoba oil.

• gnomebeard

June 23, 2018 at 6:54 am

This is for a clay pomade I’m trying to come up with, just not sure if these percentages are ok.  This is the first time im using PEG ingredients.  At what stage should I add the PEG ingredients and clay?

• Dirtnap1

June 27, 2018 at 9:48 pm

Waxes and oils together, these would include the Peg 40 HCO and Peg 7 Glyc coco.

Water phase would be the VG, clay and water. Pre-wet clay in water then add VG after clay has mixed with water to avoid clumping of clay. Heat both phases then incorporate water phase into oil or vise versa. You will need to mix well as clay tends to settle. You also need a preservative.

• gnomebeard

June 28, 2018 at 7:26 pm

I’m going to use Liquid Germall Plus.  It is a broad spectrum preservative.

• gnomebeard

July 1, 2018 at 5:51 am

this is what I would like to accomplish…

https://youtu.be/dqiyx5ITP2c

• gnomebeard

July 2, 2018 at 6:24 am

So you’re saying all the clay should be mixed in the water phase?  Then once fully mixed, add the VG and start heating?  I saw on the video above that the PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate was added to water phase.  And the also the Acrylates C10-30 alkyl methacrylate copolymer was added in the late stage of water phase.  I got the acrylates from Making Cosmetics…it marketed as 

GelMaker® Style

The video says this ingredient is the secret to this clay pomade.  I will be on vacation all this week, so I will be experimenting on this recipe again lol!! Once I start something I can’t stop until it’s perfected!! I’m sure you all feel the same!!

• justa_pinch

November 29, 2018 at 7:31 pm

@gnomebeard how’s the recipe going?