Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Formulating an Anti-Dandruff shampoo?

• Formulating an Anti-Dandruff shampoo?

Posted by Anonymous on May 28, 2018 at 2:00 pm

Greetings folks!
    I’m running my own business in a war-torn country (Syria), and I’m trying to add Zinc Pyrithione and Dimethicone to my formula.. but it won’t suspend in it (immediately separates). Can anyone guide me how to suspend these two in my formula?

My base formula is as follows:
    8.5% SLS
    2.8% Coco-Betaine
    0.5% Cocamide MEA
    01% Glycerine
    01% Polyquaternium-7
    0.3% preservative
    Citric Acid (pH to 6)
    Sodium Chloride (to desired thickness)
    Natural Extract (depending on Marketing story and claims)
    Water (to 100%)

If it got suspended (somehow by chance when trying different methods and switching mixing stages) it gets sticky as dry sperms!! YUK! don’t wanna sell that :D

Hpmangukiya replied 8 months, 2 weeks ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • drbobverdient-biz

May 28, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Best to use Ultrez 20, if you can get it, for suspending ZPT: switch dimethicone to dimethicone peg 7 isostearate and add both at the end of the process.

• gunther

May 28, 2018 at 7:05 pm

Zinc pyrithione is mostly water insoluble
    http://www.janssenpmp.com/downloadfile/400.pdf

Just search sample anti-dandruff formulas in the large chemicals manufacturers websites
    They often use Carbopol to keep it suspended as Drbob just said
    https://www.ulprospector.com/en/eu/PersonalCare/Detail/77/20050/Anti-Dandruff-Shampoo-With-Zinc-Pyrithione-Formulation-SH-0015

• Anonymous

May 28, 2018 at 11:32 pm

@”DRBOB@VERDIENT.BIZ” Thank you for replying and sharing ur experience :) I really appreciate it, but if possible, can you provide the percentages of these ingredients? thx again!

@Gunther I’ll check that out right away, thx :)

• drbobverdient-biz

May 29, 2018 at 2:55 pm

I don’t know viscosity you want but looking at surfactant system start with 0.75%wt/wt Ultrez and 0.1-0.2% silicone.

• em88

May 29, 2018 at 3:27 pm

What about polysorbate 80? 0.5-2% should increase the stability of the suspension and facilitate the redispersion. 

• chemist77

May 29, 2018 at 4:03 pm

Don’t forget to homogenize the ZPTO, helps in suspension with the reduced particle size. 

• Hpmangukiya

July 19, 2023 at 2:23 am

first I must tell you that dimethicone is water insoluble and dimethicone does not used in shampoo. you should add Dimethiconol (and) TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate for conditioning effect and for your sepration problem used acrylic copolyemer 5%. Thank you.