Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair baby diaper rash ointment

• baby diaper rash ointment

Posted by khoikhoa on May 22, 2018 at 5:23 am

Dear Everyone,

I would like to make diaper rash ointment. I recommend some products on the market they used ZnO as a active ingredient. i have a question like:

1. ZnO use in sun care product is the same function use in diaper rash ointment
    2. Some reference formulation use up to 20% ZnO.  I try to use only 2% ZnO and it is very difficult spreading on the skin

Please give me some advives

Thanks

em88 replied 5 years, 10 months ago 9 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • ChemicalPyros

May 22, 2018 at 8:51 am

Without more details about the formulation, such as is it an emulsion, or an oleaginous ointment.

As for the ZnO, it absorbs UV light, hence its use in sunscreen formulation, and on top of that it soothes the skin and reduces the redness or irritation, and it is hypoallergenic. So it is a very nice ingredient in your arsenal.
    You can read more about ZnO here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28509652

The concentration of ZnO in relation with the spreadability can be a function of the viscosity of the medium in which it is dispersed, the size of the ZnO particles among other parameters.

• drbobverdient-biz

May 22, 2018 at 11:32 pm

Petroleum and squalane will help.

• khoikhoa

May 23, 2018 at 5:41 am

Thanks so much

Hi @”DRBOB@VERDIENT.BIZ” as i know Petroletum is not safety for baby. So i am going to try with Squalane 

• oldperry

May 23, 2018 at 12:25 pm

@khoikhoa - what makes you say petrolatum is not safe for a baby?

• khoikhoa

May 24, 2018 at 2:42 am

@Perry I reference this link so i am afraid to using petrolatum for baby

https://safbaby.com/the-importance-of-safe-and-non-toxic-skin-care-products-for-baby-and-child/

• ozgirl

May 24, 2018 at 3:19 am
    I do love to read a good bit of scaremongering fiction in the morning!  :D
    The author of that article doesn’t even know if they are against petroleum or petrolatum. They sound similar so they must be the same.
    You can learn more at

• chemist77

May 24, 2018 at 3:51 am

Sad scenario, this is just absolute fear mongering based on whims and fancies. 

• oldperry

May 25, 2018 at 1:18 pm

@khoikhoa - if you are serious about learning about formulating and cosmetic science, you should immediately stop listening to toxicology advise from authors who have no science background. The article you linked is filled with false and misleading information.

As @ozgirl said.  You can learn more at

• mikethair

May 26, 2018 at 5:53 am

But isn’t a “make diaper rash ointment” bordering on pharmaceuticals and not cosmetics?

• drbobverdient-biz

May 26, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Diaper Rash ointment usually has high levels of ZnO and is an OTC drug.

• oldperry

May 30, 2018 at 8:13 pm

@mikethair - I guess that depends on what the diaper rash ointment is claimed to do

• gunther

May 30, 2018 at 8:35 pm

safbaby.com?
    Well at least they didn’t quote EWG as an authoritative source, so that’s a start, isn’t it?

Now seriously
    several studies say Zinc oxide ain’t irritating. Not even nano-particles in cell culture studies have shown any harm.

if anything it looks like particles were too big and clumped together, thus mechanically grinding the skin.

This study points out that ZnO nanoparticles are fount to be non-irritant and better dispersed in Tween 80 than distilled water, methylcellulose and corn oil.
    Safety evaluation of zinc oxide nanoparticles in terms of acute dermal toxicity, dermal irritation and corrosion, and skin sensitization.
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13273-016-0012-3

This study even proves that ZnO/petrolatum diapers reduce skin barrier damage erythema:

Skin benefits from continuous topical administration of a zinc oxide/petrolatum formulation by a novel disposable diaper
    S Baldwin  M R Odio  S L Haines  R J O’Connor  J S Englehart  A T Lane
    First published: 21 December 2001
    Abstract
    Background
    Diaper dermatitis is a common childhood affliction. Aiming to help reduce the prevalence of this problem, we have advanced in our development of a novel diaper that delivers dermatological formulations to help protect the skin from over‐hydration and irritation.
    Objective
    To determine the clinical benefits of a novel disposable diaper designed to deliver a zinc oxide and petrolatum‐based formulation continuously to the skin during use.
    Methods
    All studies were independent, blinded, randomized clinical trials. Study A was conducted to confirm transfer of the zinc oxide/petrolatum (ZnO/Pet) formulation from the diaper to the child’s skin during use. Children wore a single diaper for 3 h or multiple diapers for 24 h. After the use period, stratum corneum samples were taken from each child and analysed for ZnO/Pet. Study B evaluated the prevention of skin irritation and barrier damage from a standard skin irritant (SLS) in an adult arm model. Study C evaluated skin erythema and diaper rash in 268 infants over a 4‐week usage period. One half of the infants used the ZnO/Pet diaper, while the other half used a control diaper that was identical except for the absence of the ZnO/Pet formulation.
    Results
    The ointment formulation and ZnO transferred effectively from the diaper to the child’s skin during product use. Transfer of ZnO increased from 4.2 µg/cm2 at 3 h to > 8 µg/cm2 at 24 h. Exposure to the formulations directly on adult skin prior to an irritant challenge was associated with up to a 3.5 reduction in skin barrier damage and skin erythema. Greatest reductions were seen for the ZnO containing formulations. Wearing of the formulation treated diaper was also associated with a significant reduction in skin erythema and diaper rash compared to the control product.
    Conclusions
    The results demonstrated the clinical benefits associated with continuous topical administration of a zinc oxide/petrolatum‐based formulation by this novel diaper.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1046/j.0926-9959.2001.00002.x

• em88

June 4, 2018 at 6:52 am

Tween will increase the dispersion of ZnO, in emulsion, suspensions, oinments, but if water is present, ZnO should form Zn(OH)2 which is easily dispersible in water. So tween is not so necessary for ZnO
    ZnO and talc should reduce rush, but the concentration should be over 5%, enough to form a film over the affected skin.