Hydrolysis

BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
Does anyone know if it is possible to hydrolyse protein with TEA? (As compared with NaOH or KOH)
Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.

Comments

• Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    I should think it's possible, but it'll be a hell of a lot slower as TEA is a significantly weaker base
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • probably very slow with low conversion of protein to amino acids.You may have to recycle the underacted protein to make process cost effective.Increase catalytic alkaline protease may help but questionable.
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    actually, now I think about it, I realise TEA is also a lot less nucleophilic than hydroxides, so you'll be lucky to get any hydrolysis at all
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    OK, thanks, guys.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.