Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Any Tips for New Graduates Attending Their First Suppliers Day

• Any Tips for New Graduates Attending Their First Suppliers Day

Posted by plainpixxel on April 24, 2018 at 11:03 pm

Hello everyone!

I’ll be heading to to the Society of Cosmetic Chemist’s New York Suppliers Day and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for young graduates/entry-level professionals to use the event to network and find opportunities? The entire event is so massive, it can feel a little overwhelming. 

I’ll be moving to the SoCal Area in a few months and I was hoping to get an formulation chemist internship or opportunity but I wasn’t sure if Suppliers Day was the appropriate time to do so.
    What’s the best way to approach the event? Are business cards and good idea for students? There are so many amazing suppliers coming, how do you prioritize who to visit first? 

I’m so excited to attend this event! Between the CEP courses, lectures, and workshops there are so many opportunities to learn and get exposure. 

I really appreciate any feedback.

DiamondD replied 5 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • microformulation

April 24, 2018 at 11:56 pm

Might be too late, but I did know of an intern who brought representative samples of their work and handed it out as a “goodie bag” with their resume to Contract Manufacturers. They got some great feedback and an offer. They did have to pay to relocate.

• plainpixxel

April 25, 2018 at 8:43 pm

Hey Mark! 
    That’s a great idea. I’ll try to see if I can come up with something clever like that. It may take a while to get together enough samples to pass out but it’s a great idea. 
    I do recognize that for most opportunities I’ll have to fund my own relocation but I’m more than ready to do that. 
    Thanks for the great feedback!

• oldperry

April 25, 2018 at 10:28 pm

I wrote this a little while ago.
    https://chemistscorner.com/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-a-cosmetic-industry-meeting-or-trade-show/

I would add, bring lots of business cards to hand out. All it needs on there is your name and contact information.

How to get the most out of a cosmetic industry meeting or trade show

• DiamondD

April 27, 2018 at 5:51 pm

FYI SoCal is a hot bed of employment opportunities in our field. 

https://caliscc.org/employment