Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General something blobby in my water phase

• something blobby in my water phase

Posted by crillz on April 20, 2018 at 12:36 pm

I am wondering why I am getting a solid small blob in the bottom of the tank (I think it must settle in the tap) in the water phase of my moisturiser.
    Water 75%
    Ultrez 0.19%
    Glycerin 8.5%
    Witch Hazel 1%
    I heat the water to 80 degrees celsius. I have a timer set overnight for this, so the temp is down to 65 degrees when I add the other ingredients.
    I then add the ultrez and stir until homogenous.
    Then I add the Glycerin and then the Witch Hazel and the temp is still 65 degrees and seemingly well mixed. I was fairly certain all these were ingredients for water phase so thinking maybe something wrong with method but not sure what. Any guidance appreciated.

belassi replied 5 years, 11 months ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • drbobverdient-biz

April 20, 2018 at 12:58 pm

You have to neutralize Ultrez 10 with a base-Triethanolamine-0,19%

• crillz

April 20, 2018 at 1:41 pm

cheers dr bob, its ultrez 21, I was originally neutralising at the end of all ingredients. Eg after both water and oil phases are mixed. The batch turns out all good except for that blob you can fit in your fist that comes out of tap  right at the start. Just wasn’t sure what was causing it.

• belassi

April 20, 2018 at 4:03 pm

What is in the missing 15.3%?

• chemist77

April 20, 2018 at 4:18 pm

@Belassi that missing is the blob???
    @crillz how about adding everything after neutralization, and why the heat?? Anything solid here??

• das

April 20, 2018 at 4:57 pm

If it’s at the bottom would we something heavier, I’d rule out this phase, it’s on the oil phase or there’s a compatibility issue between phases.

• belassi

April 20, 2018 at 7:50 pm

Your formula adds up to 85% not 100% which is why I asked.

• drbobverdient-biz

April 20, 2018 at 9:29 pm

The missing 15% must be oil phase?? What is LOI ? But it has to be a big fish eye of Ultrez-try adding glycerin and WH to water and then wet out Ultrez:when fully dispersed agitate slowly heat and add hot oil phase then neutralize last qs to 100% with DEI Water.I don’t see any mystery here so it must be processing. 

• oldperry

April 20, 2018 at 10:04 pm

I agree with @DRBOB@VERDIENT.BIZ - the blob is most likely the Ultrez.

• das

April 20, 2018 at 10:13 pm

At the bottom?. Wouldn’t go up?. It’s lighter.

• oldperry

April 20, 2018 at 10:18 pm

@DAS - I remember having fish-eye blobs at the bottom of production tanks for gel formulas. Depending on how big the fish eye is, it could be heavy enough to fall to the bottom.

• crillz

April 21, 2018 at 1:58 am

Sorry guys, I only typed the water phase ingredients as I can see the problem is before I even got to the oil phase and is apparent with only the water phase ingredients mentioned above. I used heat as the oil phase contains 3.2% Cetyl Stearyl Alcohol, 2% Shea Butter and 8% Emu oil. Was thinking and will try next batch I make that: the Ultrez in the jar has compounded into lots of small balls and is not 100% pure powdery if that makes sense. Next time I add I will try sifting it in as may help wet and mix in better. I am with Dr Bob and Perry thinking it has to be the Ultrez. It may be the powdery balls sinking to the bottom and causing these ‘fish eyes’.

• belassi

April 21, 2018 at 3:46 pm

the Ultrez in the jar has compounded into lots of small balls and is not 100% pure powdery if that makes sense.
    It’s had it. Done for. Ceased. Passed on. Defunct. Get rid of it and get some fresh.