• Hello

Posted by belassi on September 23, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Just wanted to introduce myself. I’m the founder and formulator of Belassi, a small Mexican personal care company. I formulate creams, gels, shampoos and conditioners. I’ve always been keen on chemistry and taught the subject at secondary school level but in cosmetic chemistry I am self-taught.

belassi replied 9 years, 5 months ago 7 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • crisbaysauli

September 24, 2014 at 5:27 am

Welcome to the forums Mr Belassi sir. :)

• dmh0023

September 30, 2014 at 2:15 am

Howdy. From Los Angeles :) I’m curious as to what running a beauty company in Mexico is like!

• belassi

September 30, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Running a beauty company in Mexico? Well, the upside is that we don’t have the FDA nightmare! So, it is much easier for me to develop a product; I just need to be aware of the health regulations.

However, the flip side of that, is that I have to compete with people who make stuff in their kitchen sink, and sell it with a label that has no ingredients listed. This is technically illegal but I am actually surprised when I come across properly labelled products in a market.
    As you’d expect, it is very difficult to get noticed against the flood of marketing from the big companies.
    Another little problem is that I find it difficult to obtain some ingredients I’d like because they either aren’t available here or only in sizes such as 200Kg tanks! I’d say the worst company to do business with is Croda. In general I avoid their products due to supply problems. They appear to be only interested in the giant sized businesses.
  • eperfumes

October 1, 2014 at 7:59 am

@Belassi I’m under the impression Conjunto Lar in Mexico is a distributor for small business, have you tried that?

• belassi

October 1, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Conjunto Lar is an important supplier for us. I source bio-extracts from them, also certain surfactants, and things like Silsense and Polyquart. We have dozens of local factors, for most things, which is good. Thanks for your note!

• MakingSkincare

October 5, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Welcome to the forum Belassi.  

• Bimsmide

October 5, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Welcome to the forum Belassi.

• joseg

October 6, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Hi Belassi….in which state is your company located? Mexican cosmetic chemist here, but have never worked as such in Mexico

• belassi

October 7, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Monterrey, Nuevo Leon. Began about three years ago. We’re currently waiting for brand registration (the local government has been very helpful) and developing the range, which now comprises some 17 products. Skin care, hair care, cold process soap. I tend towards therapeutic products - we have an anti-acne gel, for instance, and a burns/bruises/stings cream.