Buffer for carbomer cream

Does the pH of a cream shift over time?
If so, what buffer would you recommend for carbomer creams in a pH range between 5-6?
Tagged:

Comments

• You asked two questions--the first is yes creams depending upon composition can and do exhibit a Ph shift.Carbomer based creams do not usually exhibit a PH shift at 5.5 to 6.0 using TEA. Should the need arise a small amount of 0.1 M citric acid buffer should stabilize the cream.\ but use as little as possible due to electrolyte sensitivity.
  • Good to know bc I’m planning on making a carbomer cream
  • @DRBOB@VERDIENT.BIZ
    Thanks. I actually never use TEA to neutralize, mostly NaOH in different concentrations.

@tanelise
    The only disadvantage of carbomers is their sensivity to electrolytes, but for the rest they're absolutely superior to gums, like xanthan!
    I now have the Ultrez 10 and ETD 2020 (Lubrizol) and I'm still getting to use these, but I absolutely love the sensorials!
  • BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    I think that 940 has better sensorials than Ultrez 20 but it is much more difficult to hydrate.

Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • @Belassi
    Ok, thanks! You mean better than the Ultrez 10? (I don't have Ultrez 20)
  • Ultrez 30 will provide better electrolyte tolerance and deliver sensorials similar to Ultrez 10:also very easy to work with.
  • BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    I can't comment on Ultrez 10, sorry.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • @DRBOB@VERDIENT.BIZ
    Thanks! :-)