Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Grapefruit Seed Extract Blob

• Grapefruit Seed Extract Blob

Posted by crillz on January 11, 2018 at 1:11 am

Hi guys, I am in the midst of making a hydrating lotion.

I have 60% water
    0.8% xanthan gum
    6% glycerin
    7% Aloe Vera
    5% Witch Hazel
    0.4% Grapefruit Seed Extract

Anway my problem is with the Grapefruit Seed Extract. It seems to go blobby when I add it to the ingredients. It seems fine after experimenting adding it just with the water and glycerin but the combination with xanthan seems to make it turn into a stringy type blob.  Was wondering if anyone could tell me what causes this. Also I have 0.5% of Vitamin E (tocopherol) in the oil phase so would the Grapefruit seed extract even be required in the product.

microformulation replied 6 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • microformulation

January 11, 2018 at 1:28 am

More problems than that. Grapefruit Seed Extract is not the best preservative by far. Use a better more effective preservative. Problem solved.

• microformulation

January 11, 2018 at 1:29 am

And Tocopherol is an antioxidant, not a preservative so YES, you need a preservative. 

You refer to an oil phase but I don’t see one listed. Is the Formula complete?

• crillz

January 11, 2018 at 3:03 am

Ah sorry my preservative is Lexgard Natural which i put in at 1% in the oil phase. So I have I% preservative and 0.5% antioxidant. Mite just be rid of the grapefruit seed extract, was just wondering why it made the water phase blobby when mixed with the xanthan.

• microformulation

January 11, 2018 at 4:05 am

Grape Seed Extract is in many cases adulterated with Quats having a cationic charge. Xanthan gum is anionic.

• crillz

January 11, 2018 at 6:17 am

thanks microformulation.

• microformulation

January 11, 2018 at 4:41 pm