Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Doesn’t AMP-Acrylates/Allyl Methacrylate Copolymer work in the formula?

• Doesn’t AMP-Acrylates/Allyl Methacrylate Copolymer work in the formula?

Posted by rebelgreaser66 on December 21, 2017 at 8:11 pm
    hey, how are you?
    I am trying to make a water-based pomade for  hair and I got it  using pvp as a hair fixative. But now I would like to give a strong hold to the formula. I am using AMP-Acrylates/Allyl Methacrylate Copolymer ( Fixate G-100 by Lubrizol ) as a hair fixative but at the time of gelling a layer was formed on the surface of white colour or pink as if it were cream or something like that and I do not know what could be generating this.
    I’m thinking that maybe it’s a phenomenon of coalescence or an incompatibility with some material but I do not know what it can be (the AMP is anionic). 
    My procedure is to first mix all of the ingredients (except ceteareth 25, water, AMP and DMDM) in a beaker, then add it to the beaker with water, then add the fixative to this beaker and bring it to 85 ° C, then bring the ceteareth-25 to 85 ° C and mix these to then dim the temperature at 60 ° C and add the DMDM then pour and bring to cooling
    Any comment to solve this would be of great help; This is my formulation and I attach photos of the final product (the white layer was broken by stirring after gelling and these are small lumps that can be observed)

Ingredients                                                       %

Water                                                           42,000
    Propylen glycol                                              6,000
    Polysorbate 20                                               2,500
    PEG-7 Glyceryl cocoate                                  5,000
    Vegetable Glycerin                                         3,000
    PEG-40 Hidrogenated Castor Oil                    1,500
    Polysorbate 80                                               1,000
    AMP-Acrylates/Allyl Methacrylate Copolymer 3,000
    Ceteareth 25                                                35,000
    Fragance                                                        0,500
    DMDM Hydantoin                                           0,500

Thanks so much

chemist77 replied 6 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • bill_toge

December 21, 2017 at 8:45 pm

if it’s only a layer on the surface, that suggests water loss by evaporation as the most likely cause; if it were an inherent incompatibility within the formula, you’d see it throughout the whole product

one thing that baffles me is why your product is so strongly coloured - have you added a dye to it?

• rebelgreaser66

December 21, 2017 at 9:46 pm

@Bill_Toge Yes, I use a dye but I didn’t write the percentage in the formula because the amount that I use is too small to be determined by weight

ok, if maybe the problem is the loss of water through evaporation, how could this be solved? increasing the percentage of humectants?
  • chemist77

December 22, 2017 at 3:18 am

I have found ceteareth-20 @30% levels working great in such formulation, ceteareth-25 was a pain to work with. Though I never used so many solubilizers there, propylene glycol and glycerin worked fine @ combined level of 10-15%. 

• rebelgreaser66

December 22, 2017 at 3:56 am

@Chemist77

What’s the problem with Ceteareth-25?

• chemist77

December 22, 2017 at 4:00 am

Ah a little drop in temperature and it’s all lumped out. Not that I discourage it but I felt 20 ethoxylate worked out better and I never had to use solubilizers as well. Just 2.5% Polysorbate 20 did the job for me.