Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating ph of the solution (potassium cocoate, lauryl and coco glucoside)

• ph of the solution (potassium cocoate, lauryl and coco glucoside)

Posted by MartinaM on December 20, 2017 at 6:26 am

Dear all,

I would like to lower the pH of the solution of potassium cocoate, lauryl glucoside and coco glucoside to the neutral value. The minimal pH that I am able to get without troubles is about 8,5. I am using citric acid. In lower pH values the solution becomes cloudy and separating.

Could you give me a hand please?

Martina

belassi replied 6 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • markbroussard

December 20, 2017 at 12:45 pm

You’re not going to be able to lower the pH that low with Potassium Cocoate in the formula … Water + Coconut Oil + Potassium Hydroxide has a pH of 10.5 or so.

• belassi

December 20, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Of course it will separate. As you noticed, below 8.5 a replacement reaction occurs.

• MartinaM

December 21, 2017 at 7:05 am

Thank you for the information.

So there is no chance to lower the pH using any other soap in the formulation.

• belassi

December 21, 2017 at 4:03 pm

No. This is the crucial difference between soap and synthetic surfactants. I have tried to do exactly the same as you, that’s why I know what you saw. I bought potassium cocoate and tried to make a combo product with synthetics but the pH of course had to stay >9 so in the end … you realise that either soap OR synthetic is good, but not both. If you are not happy with your soap foam profile then change the fatty acid profile. Synthetics can easily match soap characteristics. It’s all a question of cost.