• Iselux SFS smell

Posted by Adelaidechemist on December 19, 2017 at 5:34 am

I have a pretty simple shampoo formula using 30% Iselux SFS with an additional 6% Betaine but the base formula has such a strong odour (from the Iselux SFS). I have tried so many different types of fragrances from different fragrance houses and none of them have sufficiently masked the smell.

The shampoo itself seems to be quite a good product; it foams well, is gentle, and rinses out well so I don’t want to play with the bulk of it too much. Can anyone suggest anything to help mask the smell? I have tried reducing the Iselux SFS by 4% and adding in Plantapon LGC Sorb or Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate but it hasn’t made the odour any better. I fear I will always have this odour issue when using isethionates!

Adelaidechemist replied 6 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • belassi

December 19, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Yes, I know what you’re talking about, I have a sample here of SFS which I tried myself. I agree that the shampoo has good properties, I quite liked it, the main reason I decided not to use it was that our existing formulation is more cost-effective (Akypo RLM-45 + sodium cocoamphoacetate + CAPB).
    I didn’t get as far as considering the odour aspect. I’ll see if I can find the sample later, see if I can come up with any ideas. LGC Sorb is itself an excellent surfactant and I suggest you try this combo:
    1. LGC Sorb 20%
    2. sodium cocoamphoacetate 10%
    3. CAPB 10%
    Which produces a shampoo with great foam and very mild.

• chemist77

December 19, 2017 at 1:15 pm

I have used Iselux sfs sb recently and tbh didn’t find anything unusual in terms of odor. Is it a fresh sample or old because the old sample of mine smelled horrible. I have used only 0.2% fragrance and it smells pretty nice. 

• belassi

December 19, 2017 at 5:25 pm

My sample has a bit of a “sour herb” smell to it but when diluted at 30% it would be easy to conceal.

• Adelaidechemist

December 20, 2017 at 2:23 am

The sample seems fresh enough. I have bought a few drums of it so once they arrive in January I will have a good sniff and fingers crossed it isn’t as potent!

Yes @Belassi you’re right - it is quite sour! I will give your suggested combo a go and report back!