Propylene Glycol Dibenzoate in Lipbalm

What solvent would be best to incorporate propylene glycol dibenzoate (polar) to an anhydrous lipbalm? 

Comments

• chemicalmattchemicalmatt Member, Professional Chemist
    Pretty sure that diester is lipid soluble so it may not need any co-solvent, depending on what "anhydrous" components you have in there. If using a lot of it in your formula, solubilize/stabilize with C12-15 alkyl benzoate. (What CAN'T Finsolv TN do, I always ask?)
  • @chemicalmatt
    Thanks! :-) Would caprylic/capric triglycerides also do if it has to be a polar oil?
    The rest of the ingredients are: Jojoba Oil, Argan Oil, Beeswax, Candelilla Wax, Shea Butter, Tocopherol, Bisabolol (and coloured mica's).
  • chemicalmattchemicalmatt Member, Professional Chemist
    MCT should work OK, but I'll add that Finsolv TN is a far better extender/wetting agent for mineral pigments than anything else in there.
  • DoreenDoreen Member
    edited November 2017
    @chemicalmatt
    You're right, I'll get C12-15 alkyl benzoate with my next order. Thanks!
    And I will try testing its multifunctional properties in other formulas. ;-) 
  • I am making a similar lip balm but I am trying to make it tingling.  I used cinnamon LEAF Oil (not Bark Oil). And the tingling starts slow and doesnt last. I put 2% in and it still last very long... any suggestions?
  • @Chemist5000
    I have no experience with cinnamon in lipbalms. Maybe others can help?