• Posted by nouna76 on November 16, 2016 at 8:09 am

There was a breakdown in the heating system of the  tank  where we produce a  hand wash  and we have a difficulty in dissolving SLES it took lots of time  is  there a way to have it dissolved easily without heating it  mixing it  with salt for instance ? !

johnb replied 7 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • johnb

November 16, 2016 at 8:18 am

Do you want to recover the material? If you do, be careful not to break down the gel using more salt than is in the final product otherwise it will never thicken again.

• chickenskin

November 20, 2016 at 6:42 am

So is this SLES crystals?  Just keep mixing it at a medium to high speed and recirculate (if you have that ability).  take a sample about every couple hours.  I would also get a retain if you have it, do a solids test (weigh out in small metal pan, put in 100C oven for an hour, then take it out and weigh the difference = solids) do the same with your current batch and see if it matchs.  also compare density/pH/visc…  just look at past data as well.  there are a lot of things you can do to compare.  but keep mixing, it’ll go in eventually.

• chemist77

November 20, 2016 at 9:09 am

I suppose and if I am right then @nouna76 is basically asking how to dissolve SLES faster as their heating system broke down and they can’t use it any longer. 
    I have seen recently in my laundry formulations that if I add sodium carbonate to the batch @0.25-0.50%, the dissolution is faster compared to normal. Trial and test first though depending on your final formula and if you are flexible enough to incorporate Na Carbonate. 

• nouna76

January 14, 2017 at 11:32 am

thanks Chemist77  i’ll try it

• johnb

January 14, 2017 at 11:38 am

Have you had this SLES sitting in the tank since November?