Should you disclose your exact formula for quoting if you supply raws?

ZinkZink Member
edited November 2017 in Starting a cosmetic line
Usually at sub 5000 unit production runs, contract manufacturers prefer that you supply/order raw materials (including SDS,TDS and COAs).

If you supply raws, for initial quoting, even though you have an NDA in place - wouldn't the ingredient list with phase designations and method excluding ingredient percentages be adequate? Or would you be seen as a difficult nutcase?  :#

Then once you've gotten a good quote and all other costs check out, you can give them the full list for sample production? 

Comments

• BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    I might do things differently - supply phases, methods, and percentages, but only use vague generic terms for the ingredients. If I am purchasing the ingredients myself, why should it matter to a price quote if I use one grade of microcrystalline wax over another, for example.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • You can do it via Phases using functionality of each ingredient and wt/wt % with mixing process but with an NDA we usually give them a process specification.
  • So It seems I won't come off as a complete nutter, we'll see how it goes.