Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions Decyl Glucoside - Allergen of the year: 2.2% contact dermatitis rate in 2016 - any alternatives?

• bobzchemist

October 19, 2017 at 3:12 pm

Do we know if it’s one particular brand of Decyl Glucoside, or all of them?

Many different companies make this stuff, from very large to relatively small, and I don’t think that the quality control is equally good across the board.

Even worse is the fact that Decyl Glucoside comes in cheap Industrial Grades and morPersonal Care grades (which are refined/purified further), and I don’t think some personal care

• bobzchemist

October 19, 2017 at 3:13 pm
    I don’t think some personal care manufacturers are using the correct grades.
  • belassi

October 19, 2017 at 5:02 pm

I detected problems with this issue in 2016. Stopped using glucosides.
    https://chemistscorner.com/cosmeticsciencetalk/discussion/1976/glucoside-allergy#latest

• zink

October 20, 2017 at 1:41 pm

@Bobzchemist

One would think it’s not related to purity as rates were a lot lower in 2009 and there’s no reason to believe materials were purer then?

Some chain lengths are more irritating than others e.g. C18 (2011 Decyl Glucoside and Other Alkyl Glucosides as Used in Cosmetics) but Decyl Glucoside is generally found to be non-irritating, so I doubt you could fix this by selecting a different chain length glucoside.

Cross-Reactions
    Reactions to multiple structurally related alkyl glucosides seem to
    be frequent, but not systematic, among patch tested patients and
    are seen mainly between decyl glucoside, lauryl glucoside, coco
    glucoside, and cetearyl glucoside. Thus, sensitization seems to be a
    group allergy with possible cross-reactivity, probably related to the
    similar structure of glucosides. It is well known, however, that the
    industrial manufacturing process results in blends of different alkyl
    glucosides20 and patch test reactions to different glucosides may
    isobornyl acrylate (Fig. 4) may possibly be a cause of sensitization to many alkyl glucosides,but this finding needs confirmation by further patch tests in pa-
    tients sensitized to alkyl glucosides.5 Isobornyl acrylate is used as a
    plasticizer in various plastic materials and could be leached out of
    the container by the surfactant properties of alkyl glucosides.  
    2017 Alkyl Glucosides in Contact Dermatitis

@Belassi what do you use currently and do you know contact allergy potential is lower?

• sven

October 20, 2017 at 2:07 pm

@Belassi i would also like to ask what you are using now?

• belassi

October 20, 2017 at 3:53 pm

In my case, it was Emulgin, an emulsifier that contains Decyl Glucoside. Really bad comedogenic reaction. For sulphate free I use Plantaren LGC Sorb, Sodium cocoamphoacetate, CAPB, Akypo RLM45.