Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Decyl Glucoside

• Decyl Glucoside

Posted by chemwizard on July 1, 2014 at 11:08 am

How can heaviness from Decyl Glucoside in a Facial cleanser be removed.

The Cleanser consisting of Decyl Glucoside and Betaine is thickened by Aculyn 22 and Salt, visocosity is very low, but consistency is heavy.

There are not a lot of other ingredients in the formula except Water extracts!

Any thoughts? Any other recommended Thickener in this kind of system?

chemist77 replied 9 years, 9 months ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • oldperry

July 1, 2014 at 11:14 am

How do you know it is the Decyl Glyucoside causing the heaviness?  More likely the thickener.  You could try a Carbomer or maybe a Cellulose.  (HEC)

• chemwizard

July 1, 2014 at 11:23 am

Thanks Perry,

I just never thought of Carbomer being a culprit as I have used it with different surfactant and havent felt the same.

Is there a reason why HEC would be less heavy than Carbomer? Just curious.

• oldperry

July 1, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I don’t think Carbomer does cause the heaviness.  I’m not sure if HEC would make it feel less heavy.  It is just a suggestion on what you can try.  

It’s difficult to make suggestions for your problem because there is so much unknown information. What do you mean by heavy?  Have you done a knockout experiment to see what causes the problem?  What else is in the formula?  et.c
  • chemist77

July 1, 2014 at 1:57 pm

I think he is referring to the initial slimy feel of the polymer and hence the cleansing effect sets in after the intial slimy feel disappears. Better use a different thickener if you want to avoid that feel, I have experienced it with Aculyn 22 and Carbopol Aqua SF 1 both.

• bobzchemist

July 1, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Simple test - try the APG and the betaine without the aculyn or salt - is it still “heavy”? 

Potentially, you might have your surfactant levels too high.
  • nasrins

July 2, 2014 at 4:01 am

for being nonviscouse:
    The salt can viscous your
    cleanser if u use ionic surfactants in formula such as SLES. but decyl glucoside is nonionic, so it doesn’t work( betain produces onions  too but not as much as SLES) .

Aculyn 88 is viscosity
    modifier but in facial cleanser its better to use carbomer (in my opinion). And
    why u don’t neutralize your polimer cause after neutralizing viscosity is  increased again.

• vitalys

July 2, 2014 at 4:06 am

Well, Now I know the source of onions :-)) :-)) :-))

• nasrins

July 2, 2014 at 4:10 am

and I dont know what do you mean heavy!!!

• nasrins

July 2, 2014 at 4:14 am

@ vitalys u know I dont have any problem to giving basic information…if you have you can ignore it….

• bobzchemist

July 2, 2014 at 9:00 am

@nasrins,

You said “betain produces onions too but not as much as SLES” Did you mean ions or anions?

@vitalys, if you’re going to tease, it looks like you need to point out the source to prevent misunderstanding…
  • vitalys

July 3, 2014 at 12:34 am

@Bobzchemist, No, no teasing ! :) I didn’t mention anything but funny word combination and I didn’t expect any misunderstanding. I’m sorry if the kidding caused such misunderstanding :):):)

• nasrins

July 3, 2014 at 3:59 am

Bob I meant anions… and I dont care what vitalys said. Im just here for learning more and more.

• chemist77

July 3, 2014 at 4:07 am

pH would decide the nature of Betaine (an amphoteric), and since the pH is below 7 generally for facial cleansers I suppose it would be more of a positive charged ion. But if the pH is above 7 then yes it would be anions.