Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Gluconolactone in water base product

• Gluconolactone in water base product

Posted by Hanah12 on October 11, 2017 at 10:20 am

I’m trying to form a toner with basic ingredients as:
    1. Hydrosol water
    2. Amino acid (about less than 5%)
    3. Glycerin and pathenol (around 5% as well)
    4. Preservative with Sodium benzoate & Potassium sorbate

I’m aiming to get a pH of 4.5-5 and also using Gluconolactone for this function with added benefits of moisturiser and slightly exfoliating.
    In concentration of 10%, it was fine at first (pH, solubility); however, the mixture starts crystallising and decreasing pH value after 8 hours.
    I’ve tried to exclude amino acid, heat/ no heat water phrase and it still didn’t work.
    I’ve tried with different acids in AHA group and it has been perfectly fine, this is the first time I’m trying to formulate with glucolactone.
    Any advise please?

Hanah12 replied 6 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • drbobverdient-biz

October 11, 2017 at 2:40 pm

The Ph will decrease overnight as lactone ring reaches equilibrium with gluconic acid formation. Try readjusting Ph to 5-5.5 and use citric acid/sodium citrate buffer.You may also need a co-solvent PG but first stabilize Ph.

• Hanah12

October 12, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Thank you for you reply,
    Yes, for pH adjuster, I can def use citric acid which is much easier to work with.

However, I’m really interested in using gluconolactone, I noticed that after a day or two, pH value of the mixture became stable and can be adjusted by adding some TEA or even DMAE powder and it remained stable afterwards. To the second question, I still can’t figure out how to prevent the solution from crystalizing.
    Could you please help.

• drbobverdient-biz

October 12, 2017 at 2:51 pm

I think you are exceeding solubility of GLA in your system{if unsure do a knockout first). If GLA is culprit try dissolving it first in propanediol  before adding.

• Hanah12

October 13, 2017 at 9:01 am
     well, in fact I`m using 10% of the power without any solubilizer. 
    But it weird though as from suppier instruction, gluconolactone is very water sobule and less solube in aclohol base.
    I`ll try to add some PG though.
    Thank you