Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Problem in adjust PH of the BHA toner.

• Problem in adjust PH of the BHA toner.

Posted by roserose on October 10, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Hello everyone. I dissolved 2% Salicylic Acid in Butylene Glycol and Propanediol with heat. It was completed dissolved and turn to a clear liquid, I added Polysorbate 20 to S.A liquid. Then I heated the water with EDTA , and mixed both together. It still be dissolved, but when I adjust the PH with TEA ( about 0.5%), the S.A turned recrystallization totally.  People intellectual here please let me know, what can I do to fix or remake the new batch with any changing. THANKS IN ADVANCE. 

markbroussard replied 6 years, 5 months ago 8 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • belassi

October 10, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Presumably triethanolamine salicylate is insoluble, as you appear to have discovered. Check with Google.

• drbobverdient-biz

October 10, 2017 at 11:05 pm

Something else is going on Tea SAlicylate is soluble in water and glycols.Please provide complete formula for help.

• chemnc

October 13, 2017 at 9:30 pm

Do you have unreacted TEA prior to adding the SA?

• em88

October 24, 2017 at 12:28 pm

I would guess SA alone recrystallizes. The process of recrystallization starts when you add water and EDTA

• drbobverdient-biz

October 24, 2017 at 3:11 pm

I agree—you are drowning out the salicylic acid similar to a re-recrystalliztion  process.

• doreen

October 24, 2017 at 9:25 pm

@roserose
    What is your final pH + whole formula?

• davidw

October 25, 2017 at 7:15 pm

What is your total percent of water added?

As an experiment, try the same formula and process and try adjusting the pH with sodium hydroxide solution.

• markbroussard

October 25, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Sounds like you are adding to much TEA and therefore raising the pH above 4.0 and the salicylates are crystalizing out.  Try adjusting your pH to no higher than 3.5 to 3.7.  You could also add 1% Sodium Citrate to your brew to help keep the SA in solution.