Heating, Cooling and Pouring

Hi gang, having difficulty with a homemade balm concoction I'm brewing up. The end results aren't very consistent and was hoping for some help with what temperatures I should be heating ingredients to and also pouring. Originally my guess is that I wasn't heating the ingredients enough (60 degrees Celsius) as chunks were appearing through the middle and also looking kind of grainy. After remelting and heating to a higher temp (90 degrees celsius) the product seemed a bit runny throughout.

My ingredients are: 
Cocoa Butter 30%
Shea Butter 10%
Emu Oil 35%
ZMG 9%
Flaxseed Oil 9%
Avacado Oil 4%
Allantoin 1.5%
Vitamin E 0.5%
Fragrance 1%

Also thinking I mite need another ingredient to help it gel together more, but my main question was about what temp to heat to, pour and cool. 

Comments

• Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    you need to heat it to a high enough temperature to ensure all the solid matter melts in reasonable time

allantoin is not oil-soluble, so it will make your formula grainy

also, what's ZMG?
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • I agree with @Bill_Toge "allantoin is not oil-soluble" 
    ZMG, is that Zinc Monoglycerolate?
  • Ah thanks Bill, I was eliminating the other ingredients one at a time but hadn't got to Allantoin yet.
    And Yes Zaidjeber that's correct Microstat 42 Zinc Monoglycerolate.
    Ill see how we go now. Thanks again.