Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Body Wash - Sticky Afterfeel

• Body Wash - Sticky Afterfeel

Posted by skincarenyc on September 21, 2017 at 9:17 pm

I am formulating a sulfate-free body wash and have observed a tacky after feel upon dry down, which eventually disappears.

I removed each of the following materials one at a time to see if they are causing the tack : Solagum AX, Keltrol CG-SFT, and ACTISOFT C-17. After experimenting, I observed that the base still had a tacky dry down. 

I realized that the surfactants alone left a tacky skinfeel after washing. I have one version containing a Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate blend and a Alpha Olephin Sulfonate blend. They are in their respective formulas at 50%. I made a 20% surfactant solution and can still feel the tack.

Can anyone please advise?

oldperry replied 6 years, 3 months ago 7 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • microformulation

September 21, 2017 at 9:19 pm

Your natural gum thickeners can contribute. Why are you using Solagum AX (Xanthan Gum and Acacia Senegal) with additional Xanthan gum? The value of Solagum is to allow you to decrease Xanthan gum and avoid some of the sensorials you are experiencing.

• drbobverdient-biz

September 21, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Avoid all the tackiness you are experiencing and take out all gums and use Carbopol SF 1.You will have to neutralize it with base but no tack upon completion.

• skincarenyc

September 21, 2017 at 10:07 pm

I removed all of the gums and still felt that the base itself was tacky. 

• belassi

September 21, 2017 at 10:36 pm

I removed all of the gums and still felt that the base itself was tacky. 
    Obviously then, your next step is to use alternative surfactants.

• skincarenyc

September 21, 2017 at 10:39 pm

Thanks so much for the advice everyone!

Belassi, I used two different surfactant blends and both were tacky. I am wondering if this is a phenomenon sometimes experienced with surfactants in general or if I’m missing something in processing or formulation. 

• belassi

September 22, 2017 at 1:26 am

All I can say is, my own formulae don’t exhibit this effect. But then, I use completely different surfactants.

• ozgirl

September 22, 2017 at 4:16 am

I have not experienced this with Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate surfactants. In my experience most surfactants are free-rinsing and don’t stay on the skin.

Perhaps if you share your complete formula and process you might get some more suggestions.

• drbobverdient-biz

September 22, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Betting it is acyl isethionate:you can replace with Cocamidopropylbetaine in combination with AOS and get good properties using the right thickener.

• skincarenyc

December 8, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Just wanted to provide an update! It definitely was the acyl isethionate. I replaced it with a different combination of surfactants (Thanks @Belassi!) and was able to create better aesthetics. 

Thanks everyone!

• markbroussard

December 8, 2017 at 4:57 pm

If you’re looking to use a natural thickener for surfactant systems your best bet is going to be Structure XL (Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate) AkzoNobel.

• oldperry

December 8, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for the update!!