Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Hair Pomade/ grease for ethnic hair

• Hair Pomade/ grease for ethnic hair

Posted by komirra on August 26, 2017 at 4:15 am

Hello! i have come up with a formulation for a hair grease/ pomade for dry curly ethnic hair. I would like to know if the percentage of lanolin/ natural oils is too high. I’m not quite sure how much of the pomade is supposed to be based on petrolum jelly. The purpose of this pomade is to add shine and softness, not neccessarily hold. yes i know a store bought pomade can be bought super cheap, but i want to add my own custom fragrances to a blend. 

Formula:

80% Petroleum Jelly 
    10% Lanolin
    4% shea butter
    4% babassu oil
    1%fragrance
    1% pheonip

markbroussard replied 6 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • bill_toge

August 26, 2017 at 2:01 pm

this depends very much on what criteria you use to judge whether or not a given level is too high

from a technical point of view, your formula will certainly do the job it’s meant to do, and the lanolin/shea butter/babassu oil won’t harm it at all

the only comment I’d make is that Phenonip is unnecessary, as the formula contains no water and won’t sustain microbial growth

• drbobverdient-biz

August 26, 2017 at 3:31 pm

Only suggestion is to add 3-5% zinc stearate for spreadability and I agree you do not need preservative as per Bill Toge.

• komirra

September 2, 2017 at 1:34 pm

I was thinking the need to preserve would come from someone possibly introducing water to the product. thanks for suggestions.

when i was thinking of too high i meant like at levels that were more than someone might be able to tell any benefit. OR if perhaps an increase was neccessary for performance or texture reasons. 

• markbroussard

September 2, 2017 at 2:10 pm

If you’re concerned about preservation, which you really don’t need to be, try adding Glyceryl Caprylate (and) Glyceryl Undecylenate which is an oil soluble preservative.