Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Starting a cosmetic line Looking for someone who can formulate 4% Hydroquinone cream

• Looking for someone who can formulate 4% Hydroquinone cream

Posted by yemi on August 19, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Please guys I need help, I am looking for someone who can take up my project, most of the Labs that I have contacted did not work with hydroquinone and its frustrating me. 

yemi replied 6 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • belassi

August 19, 2017 at 10:41 pm

Well, there’s very good reasons for that.

• markbroussard

August 19, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Have you checked the regulations on creams containing hydroquinone in creams containing more than 2% HQ? … Where are you located/intending to market?

• yemi

August 20, 2017 at 10:41 am

Belassi I know, it’s so difficult to find someone. I actually need 2% of hydroquinone because that is  there recommendation rules.

• yemi

August 20, 2017 at 1:02 pm

HI Mark, I have check the regulations but I wanted 2% of hydroquinone on my formula. 

• microformulation

August 20, 2017 at 2:49 pm

I can only speak to US standards, but in the US up to 2% Hydroquinone is an OTC.  Above 2% is a prescription product.

I am familiar with the Formulating, but to be honest it has been years since I have been seriously approached. In our area, Cosmetics, there is a strong Market bias due to safety concerns. I see a great deal more requests for Arbutin, Kojic acid and numerous other botanical based tyrosine inhibitors.

• markbroussard

August 20, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Hydroquinone is banned in the EU at any concentration in cosmetics.  Unless you are operating in a jurisdiction where it is allowed, I’d look for other skin lightening alternatives.

• yemi

August 20, 2017 at 11:17 pm

Mark, can  Arbutin and kojic acid work better to lightening the skin too? What other lightening agents will be effective.

• microformulation

August 21, 2017 at 12:22 am

If you are going to make an effective product, you will need to refine who your target client is.

When we covered this in school, the starting point was to discuss the Fitzpatrick Scale. This an objective scale Dermatologists use to gauge skin pigmentation; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzpatrick_scale

Generally (these are generalizations), Type VI is Western African or similar dark coloring. These clients respond better to Kojic acid and more stable derivatives. Kojic acid is unstable and generally the Dipalmitate salt is used.

Type V and IV is generally Pacific rim and Indian continent. In my experience these clients respond best to Arbutin.

In all these groups you will see naturally sourced botanicals added for additional or (arguably) primary effect. Bearberry and Licorice extracts are common. Licorice and some of the newer derivatives show some great promise.

Now, all this assumes you are looking for bleaching. If you are looking to treat age related discoloration, there are other modalities.

I would suggest reading a credible general overview of these treatments before continuing. Once you decide upon an active ingredient, there is a great deal of information from the distributors. Also, read the Technical data sheets from the distributors. Each active does have some specific factors to consider in the Formulation.

• yemi

August 21, 2017 at 7:24 am

Microformulation thank you for the information, my target clients are African. I will take on board this.  

• microformulation

August 21, 2017 at 1:52 pm
  • chickenskin

August 21, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Just FYI there are a couple sample formulas on UL that you can look at to give you a path to follow.  

• oldperry

August 21, 2017 at 9:58 pm

@Microformulation - Thanks for the link.  I didn’t know that forum archive was still available.

• yemi

August 22, 2017 at 11:14 pm

Thank you @Microformulation