Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Safest way to heat phases?

Tagged: ,

• Safest way to heat phases?

Posted by jackleon80s on August 16, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Currently I am using a hot plate and heating the water and oil phases (in beakers) with a digital thermometer inside. Once the oil phase reaches near 70 degrees celcius, I remove it from the heat and wait for the water phase to catch up. By the time the water phase catches up the oil phase cools down a bit. Is there better equipment or method that is more reliable? A way to have both reach exactly 70 degrees.

microformulation replied 6 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • oldperry

August 16, 2017 at 11:36 pm

Why don’t you just keep the oil phase on the hot plate but turn down the heat to warm?

I would suggest using a water bath for both. You heat up the water and put the oil phase beaker in that. You could do the same with the water phase. Then you will have more control over the temperature.

• jackleon80s

August 17, 2017 at 12:17 am

The oil tends to heat much faster than the water, and when I remove it from heat it cools down by the time the water phase reaches the same temperature. 

• microformulation

August 17, 2017 at 12:22 am

I use water bathes myself. I was able to purchase 2 digital waterbaths off of Ebay and it really simplifies the process. I also have a pair of digitally controlled hot plates which work well although I feel that the water bathes heat more uniformly. I generally save the hot plates for when I am working with waxes.