Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating How to Increase Thermal Stability and Freeze Thaw Stability of an Anhydrous Product

• How to Increase Thermal Stability and Freeze Thaw Stability of an Anhydrous Product

Posted by PeiHoong on August 9, 2017 at 9:11 am

Hi, all! I’m facing some difficulties during my formulation. Currently I have a project on a hot poured cream foundation and this is my first time to make a hot poured cream. Here are the problem I’m facing, hope you can advice:
    1. During heating process, there are lot of bubbles produced and make me can’t pour a nice and smooth surface. I wonder is it due to the high temperature or stirring method…
    2. The cream foundatin produced is stable under room temperature, light and freeze but does not stable under 40C and 50C as well as freeze thaw. It is sweating and perhaps form some dots on the surface. May I know the reason behind? Any idea on how to solve the issue? 

Thank you very much in advance! 

MariaSibon replied 4 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Chemist79

August 9, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Try filling when it is not too hot, around 5 degrees C above the setting point. If stability at high temperatures is poor try including a wax with a higher melting point. Hope this helps.

• PeiHoong

August 16, 2017 at 8:12 am

@Chemist79  Hi, I’ve tried according to your advice and the product has no more sweating!  I will continue to observe its stability! Thank you for your useful advice! 

• MariaSibon

November 8, 2023 at 8:01 am

Dear PeiHoong,

I understand this is an old post, but I would be interested to know if you have realised what is causing your unstability and how you have solved it.

I presume it is your low-melting butters in your fomulation partially melting and recrystalising creatiung the white spots.

I have a similar problem with an anhydrous balm formlation that after a few months fat blooming occurs and I am working on reformulation and process improvement to minimise the risk of fat blooming as I cannot get rid of the balms.

I would be grateful if you could share any feedback experience you might have.